Stop reboot on serial connection - How?

Hello, I am writing a Lazarus program on a windows 8.1x64 laptop computer to send stuff to an Arduino Nano. I am using the Synaser library and it all works just fine with one major exception.

Every time I Connect to the Arduino via the Serial Port, it forces the Arduino to reboot. I guess I can leave the connection running but wondered if there was something I can do to stop the Arduino rebooting on connection as I take the laptop with me a lot.

com10, 9600, 8, 'N', SB1, false, false

Not sure what the "SB1" is for or what it does, but just copied the working example for the Synaser unit.

Thank you.

but wondered if there was something I can do to stop the Arduino rebooting on connectio

Yes. If you had searched, you could have found:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

You can defeat the auto DTR reset by using a ~100 ohm resistor between the reset pin and +5v pin, or a large capacitor between the reset pin and ground.

PaulS:
Yes. If you had searched, you could have found:

Wow, a bit harsh. I had done quite a bit of searching before asking here, but using the correct term to search with is always more important than how much, if any searching is done.

It had not occurred to me that "auto reset" was what I needed to know about.

Paul, if that is what you regard as "help" then it would be an even bigger help to me if you were to refrain from responding to any more of my requests, should I have any.

I wasn't born knowing everything so when stumped, I do some searching and when that fails I ask for help.

zoomkat:
You can defeat the auto DTR reset by using a ~100 ohm resistor between the reset pin and +5v pin, or a large capacitor between the reset pin and ground.

Thanks, I have just tried a 10uF Tantalum cap (all I had right here) and it is working a treat. Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

OK, the capacitor prevents uploading and it times out before "Done Uploading."

That means removing one leg of the capacitor when uploading a sketch.

However, I have found a fully software work-around to prevent the reboot. And, it has no adverse affect on the Upload/ Download or general operation. Just the way nature intended. :slight_smile: Plus it can all be contained within my Lazarus software.

Do you mind sharing that work-around? Maybe it will help someone else in the future.

SalineSolution:
Wow, a bit harsh. I had done quite a bit of searching before asking here, but using the correct term to search with is always more important than how much, if any searching is done.

I googled "arduino prevent reboot" and it was the first hit.