Stupid Eagle Question

Anyone know a convenient way to copy footprints/symbols within the same library? I’ve been using a second scratch library for the purpose, but it feels silly and I was hoping there was a faster way.

If you know how to copy from library to library, you can copy from package to package in the same library using the same method.

View all layers. Group mode button. Drag a rectangle to select all desired stuff. Copy mode button. Ctrl+rightclick something in the group, choose “Copy group.” Hit Esc to not copy the thing here, but it’s still on the clipboard. Go to destination library/package. Paste mode button. Splat the new stuff where desired.

… Drag a rectangle to select all desired stuff. Copy mode button. Ctrl+rightclick something in the group, choose “Copy group.” Hit Esc to not copy the thing here, but it’s still on the clipboard.

I would replace the bold portion with “Cut button, left-click near previously selected group.” (note that in EAGLE, the “cut” (scissors) button actually does “copy.”)

(and copying from library to library has gotten easier than this in recent versions. Open destination library. In control-panel, expand the “libraries” tab to find the part or package that you want. Right-click on it and select “copy to library” from the pop-up menu. (done.) (if you select a “device”, the schematic symbol and all the packages it uses will get copied into the open library. If you only select a package, it only copies the package.))

westfw, I agree that Cut is just like other apps’ Cut to Clipboard. But whenever possible, I don’t teach a method that deletes good data, because sure enough, someone’s going to forget to say NO to “Do you want to save?” Also, whole-part copies are very convenient, but sometimes you just want to copy a little bit. Found that useful to copy some 8-pin headers to make a 32-pin matrix package.

“cut” in eagle doesn’t delete anything (which is why it’s “weird” It’s exactly like most applications “copy to clipboard”)

For the other, I was just pointing out how someone could know how to copy from library to library without knowing how to copy/cut/paste within a single library. (I didn’t even know that the “copy/duplicate” button would put things in the paste buffer…)

Hi guys, does any of you have the symbol/footprint for the Atmega168 or 328 (DIP version), and wouldn´t mind to share with us, i can´t find it on eagle cad library´s !

thanks in advance

You can use the footprint from the Sparkfun Eagle library… it’s the same pinout as the AVR-MEGA8-P part using their DIL28-3 footprint.