Suggestions for improvements

Hello,

I am using the IDE for years and very happy with it. Yet, I made some suggestions for improvements. I was answered very promptly by the development. I want to thank you for it.

I downloaded and installed revision 2.3.7. This action by itself solved some of the issues. I should have doing it before the submission of the post, and I apologize for it.

1. Sometimes a compilation requires a long time. A button to upload a pre-compiled sketch to the target without recompiling it will help.

Development team response: This is out of scope for Arduino IDE, which is a tool for developing Arduino sketches.

OK, accepted. Thank you.

2. The Serial Monitor window:

a. I have two screens. The window should be movable to another screen (was in the past).

Development team response: The Arduino IDE developers are tracking this request.

OK, accepted. I’ll wait patiently. Thank you.

b. When running the sketch I print many debug messages. To review it I must disconnect the target from the USB. It would be nice to allow recording the screen data so I can review the resulted file.

Development team response: The Arduino IDE developers are tracking this request.

I downloaded and installed version 2.3.7. This issue was solved there.

3. In the past I could open two sketches and work with two targets through different USB ports. In the later versions I still can open two sessions, but they are of the same sketch. This requires a 2nd computer. The functionality of the sketches should be returned.

I downloaded and installed version 2.3.7. This issue was also solved there.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Yona Gy

Point 2 is partly catered for by the new button in 2.3.7 that allows you to copy the Serial output so that you can paste it into a file.

I don't know what you mean by point 3. I regularly, like right now, have two instances of the IDE (2.3.7) running and a different sketch in each on different COM ports. How are you opening the second instance of the IDE ?

Thanks for your suggestions @yonaGY82!

This is out of scope for Arduino IDE, which is a tool for developing Arduino sketches.

Excellent open source tools are available for uploading compiled binaries. Arduino provides one such tool, which is named Arduino CLI:

https://arduino.github.io/arduino-cli/latest/

This is a command line tool. It actually provides most of the non-GUI capabilities for Arduino IDE under the hood. You can use the arduino-cli upload command to upload the previously compiled sketch binary to the target board:

https://arduino.github.io/arduino-cli/latest/commands/arduino-cli_upload/

There are also lower level tools (which are actually used by Arduino IDE and Arduino CLI under the hood to perform the uploads). These tools are generally specific to certain classes of target boards (e.g., the excellent AVRDUDE for boards based on microcontrollers of the AVR architecture). If you would like advice from the forum helpers. on such tools, you can provide details about the specific board you are targeting. If you do that, I suggest creating a new forum topic for the purpose since it is fairly tangential to the subject of this topic.

The Arduino IDE developers are tracking this request here:

I know it is not what you need, but some do prefer to have the Serial Monitor panel located at the right side of the Arduino IDE window instead of the default location at the bottom. I'll provide instructions you can follow to configure Arduino IDE to use that layout:

  1. Press the Ctrl+Shift+P keyboard shortcut (Command+Shift+P for macOS users) to open the "Command Palette".
    A menu will appear on the editor toolbar:
  2. Select the "Preferences: Open Settings (UI)" command from the menu.
    ⓘ You can scroll down through the list of commands to find it or type the name in the field.
    A "Preferences" tab will open in the Arduino IDE main panel.
  3. Type arduino.monitor.dockPanel in the "Search Settings" field of the "Preferences" tab.
  4. Select "right" from the menu under the "Arduino › Monitor: Dock Panel" setting.
  5. Close the Preferences tab by clicking its X icon.

The Arduino IDE developers are tracking this request here:

If you have a GitHub account, you can subscribe to the GitHub threads to get notifications of any new developments related to these subjects: