Talking to the moon

Here is a random question, if you were sending an arduino to the moon, how would you talk to it? 250,000 miles, but only 100,000 feet of atmosphere... Hmm...

I think the biggest problem is going to be power use, because the rocket couldn't be too large, so the battery would need to be small, and light (perhaps even an custom board made to cut down on weight) if it were solved then perhaps the obvious moonduino would insue, with a moon rover etc :P (one day)

Also, at 15 i'm not planning to build a small orbiter myself, so this is all hypothetical. (mum would kill me if I sent a circuit board into space "You can't keep your room tidy, and now you're putting junk into space?! How dare you!" she would say..)

/me

Here is a random question, if you were sending an arduino to the moon, how would you talk to it?

In reassuring tones, as space travel is still quite dangerous and the Arduino is probably anxious.

I think the biggest problem is going to be power use, because the rocket couldn't be too large, so the battery would need to be small, and light

I think you'd have to rely on solar panels. A "moonduino" would need to be designed for very low power operation such that it could go into a very low power sleep mode most of the time.

-- Check out our new shield: http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/html/gadget_shield.html

radio signal doesn't need atmosphere, just a really powerfull receiver/transmitter. ah the atmosphere will reflect some frequency, so pay attention ;D solar panels are more efficient in space because unfiltered radiation from sun, and if you are enought good you can have no night :)

I think the biggest problem is going to be power use

Just quietly I think you would have larger problems than that to overcome :)

mum would kill me if I sent a circuit board into space

I doubt it, if you actually did that you'd be well on your way to your first million$ so I think your mum would be pretty happy.

My neighbors' dogs talk to the moon sometimes.

I don't think it hears them, though...

I'm thinking a giant LED array and transmitting messages through morse code. :D

Of course, it'll only work for twelve hours a day but if you've managed to get an Arduino into space and solved the power problems etc. then I'm sure you're capable of implementing some local data storage and only doing a transmission once or twice a day.

Or if you have a 28m steerable dish in your garden, you can do it with as little as 3mW.

Some friends I know used to have a 2.5-3m steerable dish for TV... They could get TV from most countries. Not sure why they wanted to but why not! It was fun to control, vrrr, vrrr.

Constructive ish thread it seems... What about xbees? They claim to have 15mile range, with out atmosphere would the signal go further? [edit]changed the word that now reads "what" as autocorrect turned it to a swear word and I didn't notice, sorry[/edit]

I was listening to NPR the other day and they mentioned a new service that allows you launch your own satellite for $8000. Perhaps you could use this as a go between.

The company that is trying to suggest this 8k personal rocket/satellite thing: http://www.interorbital.com/

mimicron, very informative post, too bad you have a link prepaid debit cards in your sig, now I wonder where you copied and pasted that from, and have to plop you on the spammer list

too bad you have a link prepaid debit cards in your sig

Firstly you can't have sigs anymore so it is a 'fake sig' and secondly, all of the posts from 'him' have had that at the bottom.

I believe it is a vague attempt to avoid being banned as a spammer and I bet that was all copied and pasted although I may be wrong.

[edit]Oh, here it is: http://www.wisegeek.com/which-electromagnetic-wavelengths-can-pass-through-the-atmosphere.htm

That was hard to find with a bit of Ctrl+C Ctrl+V ;)[/edit]

Do we not have a mod team to delete these spam posts (or will this happen in due course)? :-X

Mowicus, even if it was copy and pasted it bears reasonable relevance. However, I am all too aware that the ionosphere can cause issues communicating with objects in space (stupid sun) I enjoy physics at school and pay attention

Either way, light is out the question (the smaller wavelength waves he described) as fanciful morse code would be to talk to an arduino I fear that perhaps it moght be impractical. This leaves the long end (FYI, radio signals typically up to a KM, well long wave anyway) these get reflected by the ionosphere, hence why transmitters don't need to be far apart, over 30 Mhz and 50% of the wave is absorbed, so what do you guys think would be a nice legal place in between?

I fear it may involve a laser, don't get me wrong, I love lasers, but the pesky mum thing may come into play again :P also, civil aviation (who cares about the non civil) get annoyed at space lasers..

That reminds me, where is that star trek DVD...

Mowcius, even if it was copy and pasted it bears reasonable relevance. However, I am all too aware that the ionosphere can cause issues communicating with objects in space (stupid sun) I enjoy physics at school and pay attention

Oh I do agree, it was informative, too bad it was spam.

Do we not have a mod team to delete these spam posts (or will this happen in due course)?

We do indeed. They are normally removed pretty quick but it is not doing anything about the root cause. :(

What we need mowicus is an arduino in space, at a fair distance orbiting the earth, say on the moon. Then we need a spam o meter and a laser, and I think we'll be in business.

On a more serious note how would one tackle the cold, near space isn't too bad at -40 many components will work, but in outer spade? I suppose I could put in a heating coil, but it could only work when light hits the solar panel..

Then again, if the components had a space blanket on them, the only way they can lose heat in space is through radiation (not atmosphere and all that) so could that keep them warm for long enough to make it through a "night" do you think?

Then again, if the components had a space blanket on them, the only way they can lose heat in space is through radiation (not atmosphere and all that) so could that keep them warm for long enough to make it through a "night" do you think?

Well in the day, the sun would drive it up to very toasty termps, and in the night it can drop to, umm, very cold... brrr

It would need to have a nice insulating shell like all space craft to protect the electronics from the extremem temps.

Mowcius

It would need to have a nice insulating shell like all space craft to protect the electronics

And multiply-redundant circuits to protect the spacecraft from ionising radiation-induced faults.

It would need to have a nice insulating shell like all space craft to protect the electronics

And to protect the electronics from all the moon mice :p

Mowcius whistles ;)

There's already an Arduino (or rather derivative thereof) in space: https://goby.nrl.navy.mil/ANDE/Castor.html

As discussed here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1236996885

Andrew