The connection between Arduino Nano and USB-UART converter

Hi.
I'm trying to connect a MIDI USB keyboard to Arduino Nano via USB-UART converter with ft232rl chip.

My converter is here:
694c6217521f01a29dfa6633459903fc

but the pins are similar to this one:

My idea is to connect ICSP pins with the pins on converter (it has GND, CTS, VCC, TX0, RX1, DTR pins)
wiring: GND (Nano) - GND (converter)
5v - VCC
MOSI - RX1
MISO - TX0
DTR, CTS are unconnected.

My keyboard is powered up, but I can't figure out how to receive data applying this method.
I also tried simple connection with D0(RX) and D1 (TX) pins on arduino, but it doesn't work either.

Is it even possible to connect external device (in this case, USB-UART converter) to Arduino Nano? I found some information that in order to establish serial communication with these devices Arduino needs Serial1 function. Should I consider switching to Arduino Pro Micro for this reason?

My debugging code is here:

int ledPin=13;

void setup() {
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); 
	Serial.begin(31250);
}
void loop() {
	if (Serial.available() != 0) { 
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
    delay(1000);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
    delay(1000);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
}

Not sure that's going to work.

The keyboard, which is a USB peripheral, will need to be plugged into a USB Host, like a PC/laptop.

A Nano, even with a USB-serial adapter, is not a USB Host. It is also a USB peripheral. You can't connect 2 peripherals together.

You can get USB Host adapters for some models of Arduino, and some models of Arduino have USB Host capability built-in.

2 Likes