trouble starting

Hello, I have an Arduino Duemilanove ATMega328P.

I installed the drivers (restarted the computer) installed the software.
I did the set up for the board and serial port and tried the blink example.

but I get this:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

and w/ verbose output:

Binary sketch size: 970 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbserial-A6005u8Z -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/aw/aw3TbbmcFd03GKZGgUWu+U+++TM/-Tmp-/build29295261870170147.tmp/BlinkWithoutDelay.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 9 2007 at 11:20:31
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean,

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/lily/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-A6005u8Z
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

I found out that maybe I dont have a bootloader installed (led doesnt blink when I reset), but when I try to install it I get the same error.
btw which one should I install? I tried Arduino as ISP.

Help?

you either need a seperate programmer or a seperate working arduino running a sketch to burn a bootloader (the arduino as ISP option)..

what do you mean by a separate programmer?
doesnt really make sense buy another arduino or another device to make this one works. Isn't there any other way? this one is brand new.

I found out that maybe I dont have a bootloader installed

What makes you think this? If you bought an official Arduino, it DID come with a bootloader. Bootloaders are like freeloaders - pretty darned hard to get rid of.

If you somehow managed to, though, there are two ways to re-load the bootloader. Both of them require that you buy more stuff.

I'm not sure. I read this, that's why

"Make sure there's a bootloader burned on your Arduino board. To check, connect an LED to pin 13 and reset the board. The LED should blink. If it doesn't, see the Bootloader page for instructions on burning a bootloader to the board."

in the troubleshooting file that came with the eviroment software:

file:///Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/reference/Guide_Troubleshooting.html#toc1

the LED doesn't blink. and when I try to upload the exemple, RX blinks but TX doesn't, after RX stops blinking I get the error "programmer is not responding" I have a Macbook. I've tried on a PC and It doesn't work either. =/

Did you buy it new? If not... You might have a boot loader problem otherwise I would doubt it very much.

Kevin

Yes, It's new.

Have you tried to power it with the dc power jack with 9 volts or so without the usb connected? When you connect it up to the usb port do any leds at all come on or blink?

What serial port are you using and are you certain that it is the port assigned to your arduino?

Kevin

When I connect to my USB port,
PWR LED goes green and RX and TX blinks.
and that's all.

I'll try to power up without the USB.

serial port: /dev/cu.usbserial-A6005u8Z
I've tried with tty also.