Unable to flash UNO Q after possible brick

@ptillisch,

The short answer is that I used another computer (Ubuntu 24 LTS) that didn't have the mess that my primary dev computer has, and I meticulously followed each step Arduino documented for the UDEV configuration, and everything worked flawlessly.

But allow me to express some naive observations. I've been through this route of USB cable challenges, and in my case, the cable has never been the issue - typical red herring. It is generally the USB hub interfaces (2 or 3) or UDEV settings. I like the jumper setting on the UNO Q. Pressing pico buttons to make the board flash ready is challenging for me, as is the case with so many boards from other vendors.

Right now, as time permits, I am using App Lab and the published examples. No hiccups so far! It will take me several weeks to complete these in sufficient depth to understand the documented tips.

Regards.

Great news! I'm glad you are up and running.

Have you seen the buttons used on some Seeeed XIAO boards?:

📷

xiaoesp32s3plus.png by Seeed Studio - GPL-3.0

They are so tiny you can barely even see the button!

Methinks, that Seeed received enough feedback to increase the button dimensions for the ESP32-C5. Also, having worked on the antenna, U.FL, on ublox with UNO for many years now, I use a head strapped magnifying glass to push those in.

Regarding XIAO, you may find it amusing, that when I described my requirements to ChatGPT for a XIAO-based solution, I was told to use the Mega!!!

Regards.

For UNO Q users (Windows PC) trying to flash the board's image, but the process stops at "Waiting for EDL Device" (while using the Flasher CLI tool) or “Witing for the board” (while using the App Lab), ensure that:

  1. you swap the USB cable (use a good quality high speed data type) to rule out bad or poor quality cable.

  2. you try both USB-A and USB-C ports on the PC (Use Microsoft PC Manager to update PC drivers before testing).

  3. install QDL driver via Qualcomm® Software Center (version 2.4.0 or latest) following the "QDL_User_Guide" for windows.
    If the above steps fails to resolve the issue, then do the steps below correctly as listed.

  4. Install Qualcomm QDL driver via Qualcomm® Software Center (version 2.4.0 or latest). Skip this step if you have already installed the QDL driver.

  5. Initiate the image flashing process following Flash a Linux Image

  6. While the flashing process stops at "Waiting for EDL Device" or “Witing for the board”, open the PC’s “Device Manager” and look for the board showing up like below or similar (note that it may appear under Other devices or an unknown category).

  7. Right-click the device (Quectel QDLoader 9008 (COM3) and select Update driver.

  8. Click Browse my computer for drivers.

  9. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.

  10. Under “Show Compatible Hardware” select “Arduino UNO Q Download mode” as shown below and click next to install it.

  11. The flashing process that initially got stuck at "Waiting for EDL Device" or “Witing for the board” will now proceed to complete successfully like shown below.

  12. Power cycle the board and it should enumerate in the device like below.

    image

  13. Proceed to set the board up a new.

Note: Do this steps while the flashing process is going on and the process stuck at "Waiting for EDL Device" or “Witing for the board”.