Unable to flash UNO Q after possible brick

Hey all, new here.

Bought my UNO Q a few months ago and been using it so far as a alternative of the Raspberry Pi. Worked great so far... until now.

The board suddently stopped working out of nowhere at all, I believe i saw it instantly die one moment and loop to the Arduino logo, no heartbeat animation at all, and would basically, not boot at all to Linux.
Tried flashing it to attempt recovering it and hoping it was just an issue with Linux, and it miserably failed, I posted it all to this GitHub issue (which was closed because it wasn't an issue with the software) : Flashing always fails · Issue #98 · arduino/arduino-flasher-cli · GitHub

But I'm not like a tech master of anything and I believe I need an actual confirmation. Is it dead and not really worth trying anymore? Thanks!

Connect the board by a USB data cable with the PC and check that the board has been assigned a COM Port. If not, the board is in great problem.

Tried to look on Windows first.
When I plug it without jumper, nothing is detected, which I believe should make sense because Linux I think should be supposed to do the job.

Plugging it with the jumper however spawns this a few seconds after plugging it:
image

Tried to look at the COM ports and it doesn't seem to put anything special.

I remember also looking at dmesg on Linux and it did show something when it was on download mode aswell.

The board is in problem. The same thing happened with my first UNO Q board and that board is still out of order.

Oh well. Thanks for telling me.
Next time I'll just take a Raspberry Pi for this type of stuff then, don't think Arduino's stuff for me lol.

You can try contacting Arduino support using the form here. They should be able to confirm whether its a hardware fault. Since its a fairly recent purchase it may still be under manufacturers warranty.

Thanks, I'll consider it.
However, the catch is, about the warranty, bought it off Amazon, I'm unsure if it's a trusted seller or not and the website likely indicates otherwise.

There was a discussion about sales of Arduino products on Amazon a while back here.

Authorized resellers are listed here.

Its a fair bit of money's worth to "instantly die" and consequently have to be written off. If its a genuine product (UNO Q should be - I am not aware of any clones) then support may still be able to help.

That's interesting. I do not trust Amazon that much for these specific reasons, it works in a strange way. But unfortunately these are my only options.

I sent something to the Arduino Team, I got a bot reply directly they were saying they would reply longer than usual due to the vacation period. Does not really bother me as long they reply. But usually I suppose they would reply after this automated one.

Thanks for telling me, I wouldn't go this far without someone reminding me they have a support team xD

Hi @sylveon1. I'm sorry to hear your UNO Q board has stopped working.

I think it is a good idea.

I see you provided the specific error messages you encountered in the GitHub issue you submitted:

Other users who encountered these errors reported that they were able to solve them by switching to a different USB cable, or to a different USB socket on the PC. I see you did already try different USB cables:

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-flasher-cli/issues/98#issue-4987679619

and different computers (which is somewhat equivalent to switching USB sockets):

But maybe it is worth a bit more experimentation in this area. You should also consider USB hubs as a possible factor. If you are using one, try with a direct connection to the compute. Conversely, if you weren't using a hub and you have one on hand, try connecting it between the board and you computer in case that might happen to provide the magic working conditions.

The behavior you observed of the EDL device disappearing when the fault occurs might be an indicator of a power problem. Perhaps the initiation of the flashing process causes an increase in the power draw of the board, and your cable is not able to provide sufficient current, resulting in a brown-out or reset of the board.

It is likely to be fine. You can check the order details in your Amazon account to determine the exact seller you purchased from. If you purchased from the official Arduino seller account on Amazon, then you are all set.

Likewise if you purchased from an authorized distributor. However, in this case you might need to contact that seller for customer support instead of Arduino's own customer support. The Arduino customer support will let you know if that is required.

Yes, they will definitely get back to you. If you don't receive a reply, make sure to check your spam folder in case it ends up being incorrectly classified by your email service's filter. The fact that the automated confirmation email got through indicates that probably won't be an issue though.

Don't think that way. My first UNO Q board failed after about a month, and then I bought another one, which has been working perfectly for the last two months. It's hardware, and hardware can fail.

The UNO Q is a fantastic board because it integrates a 64-bit, quad-core QRB2210 MPU running Debian Linux with a 32-bit STM32U585 MCU running Zephyr RTOS, all on a board with the same form factor as the Arduino UNO R3. There is a lot of interesting technology to learn, including Linux, Zephyr, C++, Python, JavaScript, CSS, HTML, and more.

I would encourage you to get another UNO Q and continue your learning journey. Stay active on the forum, interact with other users, and keep posting your questions and discoveries. The more you engage with the community, the more you'll learn.

Ringed like a good idea to me. I didn't use any USB hub at all and tried on each computer a connection to the front USB panel of the case, and straight to the USB of the motherboard.
Tried with 2 of my USB Hub, it didn't seem to do anything... But I'm quite relieved because it would have been so ridiculous if it was... :sweat_smile:

This, is very interesting. I would have really hoped to have a plug-in power meter in my hand to investigate further but I don't. However, what I could tell is, the LED that forms the Arduino logo and the green one that indicates the power are not cutting at all, nor lowering luminosity, but it's just something I've been observing, maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Checked it out, yep, it's from the official Arduino shop, the seller was the company name. So it should be all set, as you said!

They did! I sent them back a mail with the information they asked to me. They're pretty fast, kudos to that.

I mean, it's fair enough! I've been hosting some puppeteer stuff, Stoat bot, and been playing on the LEDs while it was working. I must say it's pretty fun to mess with, been thinking of getting more plugins and stuff, and also being impressed by the size of it. (Can't wait for the VENTUNO...)
I got some dissassembled NUC somewhere, it's like 4 times bigger... So yeah, it's impressive to me.

Anyway, I'm getting too off-topic there. I replied to the support's message, and I'll wait for them to get back to me. Thanks guys, y'all doing wholesome work.

At the Arduino support center, I believe, there is an auto replier who is still communicating with me without saying anything if there is any chance for me to get a replacement though I have replied to its all questions along with supporting documents.

After some days, I concluded with the support that the board was bamzooled.

And they just decided to send me another one.

I thought the process of contacting them would have been complicated (since often I'd rather resolve issues myself) but this has actually surprised me how easy and fast it was, I'm baffled!

Thank you all, and thanks to the Arduino support too!

But, they did not replace my board which just went out-of-order by two months!

Sorry that the original board was confirmed "bamboozled" but glad you were able to get a positive response from Arduino Support and that they were able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Thank you also for coming back and updating us on the outcome.

Thanks for taking the time to post an update @sylveon1. I'm glad you are back up and running with the new board.


I wanted to follow up on this problem you mentioned in passing in your GitHub issue:

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-flasher-cli/issues/98#issue-4987679619

The program on Linux complains having no access to the USB, and redirects to a dead link (https://docs.arduino.cc/tutorials/uno-q/update-image/#fixing-qcserial-issue-linux-only does not redirect to anything but the page how to flash it in general).

I escalated this problem of lost content to the team at Arduino responsible for that documentation.


In case anyone is looking for it, you can see the content the error message is intended to link to here:

https://github.com/arduino/docs-content/blob/d61907fa93237942f35462bef5c809ad79b7ce7d/content/hardware/02.uno/boards/uno-q/tutorials/04.update-image/update-image.md#fixing-qcserial-issue-linux-only

I stumbled upon this thread because I have the "Waiting for EDL device" issue. Pardon me for going off-thread, but the grass is greener on the other side ALWAYS! I have been using RPi for over a decade and Arduino slightly longer. I, too, get upset with Arduino stuff (I've migrated to CLion for dev work), but I've managed to toast 6 Sandisk SD cards in the last 4 months with RPi. Sandisk has an excellent warranty program, and RPi now has ZRAM but Mr. Murphy will always want to pay a visit when one is least "wanting" a visitor. So, in my learning journey, I think about Intel Edison and now marvel at UNO Q for features (but not price!). A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Best regards, and I wish you all the best for your Arduino experiments.

Hi @baqwas. Were you able to solve the "Waiting for EDL device" error you encountered?

You may have already seen it mentioned in my previous reply , but other users who encountered these errors reported they were able to solve them by switching to a different USB cable, or to a different USB socket on the PC. So definitely give that a try if you are still facing the error.