Uninstall for a fresh re-install

Hi,

How can I uninstall the IDE completely (and all of its components) for a fresh install?

Somehow I managed to corrupt the install (I tried to install using my One Drive as a common folder for libraries and sketches) and things like EEPROM.h are not found and I have trouble compiling sketches which compile with no problems on my laptop.

I would like to remove the Arduino IDE and all of the settings and anything else that it uses so that I can have a fresh install.

When I try to uninstall the IDE certain settings remain and I can only assume that there are files that are not being removed during the uninstall.

Arduino files are found in 3 locations: The installation folder, the sketchbook folder, and the Arduino15 folder. The installation folder should be removed when you uninstall but the other two folders remain so you will need to remove those also to get a completely clean install. The Arduino15 folder is located at:
On Mac OS X:
/Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15

On Windows:
Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15
Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15

On Linux:
/home/(username)/.arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/.arduino15)

If you delete this folder then you will need to reinstall any Boards you have installed using Boards Manager after you reinstall the Arduino IDE.

The sketchbook folder location is set in File > Preferences if you have any sketches or libraries that you want to save in there then back them up before removing it.

1 Like

I have updated the Arduino15 folder locations in my previous comment to include both possible locations when using Windows OS.

1 Like

Thank you!

This solved my problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

The istructions did not worked for me on Arduino IDE 1.8.0 . I mistakenly interrupted the installation and then it did not want to install. An edit of the registry in search of every Arduino entry and deletion of each one fixed the problem.

1 Like

Maybe these will help ?

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (345 KB)

PedroVazquesCasta, could you please give me more clues of how you solved this?

Same thing happen to me with Arduino 1.8.2 and Windows Vista. Then I manually deleted everything in the instalation folder, then try to install again and . . nothing, I still got the message:

Arduino version 1.8.2 is already installed and must be uninstalled before you install this version.

I also look for the arduino15 folder and file in the AppData folder, and even in all the C Drive, but found nothing.

I did Re-start the PC and same result.

And honestly I don't know how to do the “edit of the registry in search of every Arduino entry and deletion of each one fixed the problem” that you mention.

Thank you in advance for your help

1 Like

You need to do this:
Start button > Control Panel > Programs and Features > right click on Arduino > Uninstall
After that there should be no need to mess with the registry.

I believe Windows hides the Arduino15 folder by default. You can find it by clicking on the link following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file

1 Like

vargas you also missed the clean up instruction on the post above yours that are attached !

Editing the registry is not required if you use the clean up instructions.

Also have a test box here with vista and it does not play nicely with 1.8.2

1.6.5 is your best option although I also have 1.8.0 on the vista test machine which does work but may not perform as well as 1.6.5 as it may require modifications.

1 Like

Pert:

Yeahhh! It worked. Thank you.

Thank you very much for your answer. I only wonder why it didn’t occur to me. (Well I guess I know the answer.)

Ballscrewbob:

Thank you for your reply. No, I didn't miss the attachment with the clean up instructions.

What happened is that the clean up instruction mention to erase (or change name) to the folder “arduino15”, and I never found this folder (or even a similar file or folder) in AppData folder, and even in all my computer’s disk.

Hello,
I`m in trouble too. I'm a beginner and installed by mistake beta Version of IDE on Mac OS X.
But I can't remove it. I'm searching the web and forum for Arduino but it does not remove complete.
I bought the OS X uninstaller but also it does not remove everything...after a new installation everything seemed to be since it was like in the beta version...
What can I do?
Thanx a lot,
best regards and stay healthy, Kay

pert:
Arduino files are found in 3 locations: The installation folder, the sketchbook folder, and the Arduino15 folder. The installation folder should be removed when you uninstall but the other two folders remain so you will need to remove those also to get a completely clean install. The Arduino15 folder is located at:
On Mac OS X:
/Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15

On Windows:
Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15
Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15

On Linux:
/home/(username)/.arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/.arduino15)

If you delete this folder then you will need to reinstall any Boards you have installed using Boards Manager after you reinstall the Arduino IDE.

The sketchbook folder location is set in File > Preferences if you have any sketches or libraries that you want to save in there then back them up before removing it.

where is that Arduino15 folder on Mac? i don't have any of that on my Mac (HighSierra), and also no Library folder under the username

I believe it’s a hidden folder. It should definitely be at /Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15.

I followed the instructions on the PDF (CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf) attached by ballscrewbob, reinstalled the arduino ide, and problem solved. I still don’t know what caused the problem.

emcom09:
I still don't know what caused the problem.

My guess is this:

In which case only a tiny fraction of those instructions were necessary, but oh well.

@emcom09

They are a "belt and braces" approach meant to cover a few other aspects as well.

Glad to hear you are up and running again.