University Robotics Beginer Project

Hi, I'm currently working on the beginners-robotics project, and was looking for some quick help with 1 problem.

Basically, we are using a webcam and a few servos to create a device that follows motion. We have an idea of how to approach most of the steps, but don't know how we can send a signal to an Arduino, to have it do something based on that signal. We are processing the webcam(s) on a laptop, using Visual Basic. I'm just wondering, how can we send a signal to an Arduino, that it can process? It doesn't have to be a complex signal, we basically just need to send X and Y coordinates (Possibly Z) to the Arduino, in the form of 3 variables.

I know that the Arduino can "connect" to the computer with the Serial cable, but so far, I've only used that to open the Serial monitor (Outputs from Arduino, inputs into computer), but I need to know how to do it the other way around (Doesn't have to use the serial cable, can use pins or etc).

Hardware: Laptop (Yet to be defined, possibly an old Dell), Arduino (Possibly a Mega 2560, maybe an Uno if we find out we don't need as much power)
Software: Arduino environment, Visual Basic

Have you looked at Processing? Arduino is based on it, but is it for the computer. You can do graphics, sound, video analysis, and even connect it to your arduino... so with processing, you could process the webcam data and write a program to send data to the arduino for control. Sadly, the arduino isn't really fast enough or powerful enough to do video stuff by itself.

Right, I already knew that the Arduino wouldn't be strong enough to run a webcam (Possibly even more than 1), which is why we're using the laptop. However, we do want to use the Arduino to control the motors and possibly a Ping))) sensor.

Will look at Processing, thanks. Are there any other options, as well?

We are processing the webcam(s) on a laptop, using Visual Basic. I'm just wondering, how can we send a signal to an Arduino, that it can process?

Visual basic should support serial communications, so just write that function into your VB application.