Uno works fine but can't upload anything to it anymore

I have an UNO clone that suddenly won't let me upload anything to it but it still works because the sketch that was last programed in it does exactly what it's should (reads value of pot on A0 then converts it to 4 bit grey code on pins 2,3,4,and 5).
There's no FTDI chip on this one, just a little ATMEL Mega16U2 and the regular DIP package 328P-PU.

I've done the loopback test and nothing echoes back.
I'm sure the Arduino shows up in Device Manager on COM3 and goes away if I unplug it.
The IDE is set to Board:UNO and Port: COM3.
I updated from 1.6.0 to 1.6.5
Tried it on both my Win7 computer and an old WinXP laptop.
Tried it with Atmel Studio / Visual Micro.
There's nothing connected to pins 0 or 1 (or any pins at the moment).

I've read lots of forum posts about various fixes but nothing works including different combinations of Reset button and Upload button etc. They all seem to recommend a different set of steps for this fix.

Here's the error Atmel Studio gives me. The Arduino IDE gives me the same error because it's all the same AVRdude anyway.

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x89

Upload timed out waiting for a response

Is there anything else I can try?
I don't have another Arduino or programmer to help me mess with the bootloader or anything like that.
Should I just give up and get a Teensy?

The loop back test not giving you anything back is an indication of the ATmega16U2 USB-to-serial program not working or a hardware problem. There is a chance that re-flashing that with the firmware on the 16U2 ends up resolving it. I recommend giving it a try. If the 16U2 won't go into DFU mode you would have to use an ISP programmer or another Arduino as an ISP programmer and flash it that way. If DFU works, then you can try it. I have not done DFU myself because I do have another Arduino I like to use as ISP programmer. But have heard of others doing that: https://www.virtuabotix.com/how-to-cure-sudden-uno-death-syndrome/

Also forgot, I recommend trying a different USB cable, too.

dmjlambert:
Also forgot, I recommend trying a different USB cable, too.

Yup, I've tried a new USB cable too. I've tried pretty much everything :slight_smile:

I'll see what I can learn about the 16U2 and the Flip software.

OK. I tried the method from https://www.virtuabotix.com/how-to-cure-sudden-uno-death-syndrome/ by touching a jumper between the two pins shown and nothing happens at all. I doesn't do what this guy shows anyway. Reset ATmega16U2 on Arduino Uno - YouTube

I have also tried the clumsier method from this video and the UNO disconnects and re-connects / disappears and re-appears from Device Manager but it always comes back as Arduino Uno (Com3) and NOT as Arduino Uno DFU.

I'm guessing the 16U2 is just dead?

All I can think of is to check it under magnification to see if it's soldered well but it looks fine to me.

If you can't get it to go into DFU mode then the next thing to try is to use as ISP programmer device such as a USBasp or another Arduino as an ISP programmer to flash the firmware on the 16U2. I think it is odd it registers as a com device, but I have seen weirder things before.

dmjlambert:
If you can't get it to go into DFU mode then the next thing to try is to use as ISP programmer device such as a USBasp or another Arduino as an ISP programmer to flash the firmware on the 16U2. I think it is odd it registers as a com device, but I have seen weirder things before.

I might as well order a Teensy because it actually has a real DAC which makes it more useful to me.
I wonder if you can use a Teensy as an ISP the way you'd use another UNO? It looks like more trouble than it's worth. Maybe I should get a programmer to see if I can make use of this otherwise useless UNO as a learning experience. It's not like this clone UNO is worth much.

It probably depends on which Teensy model you get as to whether it would be easy to use as an ISP programmer. I don't know enough about them, yet, but I do know they are a little different. You can also use an inexpensive Nano derivative as an ISP programmer (around $3 USD), it is essentially the same as UNO except smaller in size. My favorite is the Pro Micro (around $7), which is a miniature Leonardo. You may be able to bypass the 16U2 and upload to the Uno with an "FTDI basic" or similar USB-to-serial adapter. If you can upload the Arduino as ISP sketch you can use the ATmega328P as ISP programmer to flash the 16U2. I have not heard of anybody trying that before, but it sounds to me like it would work.

dmjlambert:
You may be able to bypass the 16U2 and upload to the Uno with an "FTDI basic" or similar USB-to-serial adapter. If you can upload the Arduino as ISP sketch you can use the ATmega328P as ISP programmer to flash the 16U2. I have not heard of anybody trying that before, but it sounds to me like it would work.

That would be interesting. Using the 328 to fix the 16U2 :slight_smile:

By the way, can any cheap ISP Programmer be used to program a 16U2 (using something like Flip) as well as work with the Arduino IDE and let you upload sketches to a 328P instead of using the regular USB connector built onto the board. Aren't they just USB devices that show up in Device Manager as a COM port or am I misunderstanding what these things do?

If I get one and it doesn't help me fix my 16U2 (because it's probably dead) at least it would let me make use of the otherwise un-programmable UNO.

Yes, you can program the UNO's 328P and the 16U2 with an ISP programmer or another Arduino as ISP. You can use the IDE and Upload Using Programmer to upload to the 328P, and you can use the command line avrdude or use the IDE Burn Bootloader function to upload the original firmware to the 16U2 (to burn the DFU bootloader and USB-to-serial program together).

In fact, many dedicated ISP programmers are just Arduino type boards under the covers. They may have a 16U2, ATmega8, or something else like that, and a program has been uploaded to them. They are just custom (and usually small) boards which people don't usually re-program to do something else. From what I hear USBasp is popular and cheap. A lot of them come with a 10 pin connector but a 6 pin adapter is available. Some come with a 6 pin cable. I prefer to just use another Arduino such as my Pro Micro.

By the way, I see that you can program the 328 with a DIY parallel programmer and it's even in the list of programmers in the official IDE.
Would it also be possible to install firmware on a 16U2 using a parallel port?
I just can't make it enter DFU mode and it would be interesting to do this without a USBasp or something like that just because it's a homemade hack.

Maybe, probably. I am not a fan of parallel programmer because it uses brute force programming options of avrdude and goes to work blindly regardless of things like incorrect signature. So it will do things you may not intend, such as allowing you to have the wrong board selected in the IDE or in avrdude, and it will write changes to flash and fuses anyway. You could end up with something like wrong fuse settings and brick the target chip. It is indeed a hack.
Another Arduino running the Arduino as ISP sketch, is the best DIY programmer. It implements a more complete programming command set.

OK. I got a little USB-TTL device and I can program this UNO R3 with it using the RX and TX pins as I suspected. The 328P is unharmed.

The 16U2 will not let me enter DFU mode so I can't use Flip.

I also got a USBasp. It seems to be OK and shows up in Device Manager as libusb-win32 devices / USBasp (manufacturer www.fischl.de driver version 1.2.4.0).
It's actually a generic one that's been reflashed by the seller to make it a USBasp.
Atmel AVR Programmer USBISP/USBASP - dipmicro electronics

So... I've installed WinAVR and even AVRDudess. I see it supports the USBasp and can flash a 16U2.
I've never done anything like this before and I'm wondering if this is the correct .hex file that goes on the 16U2 of an UNO R3?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\arduino-usbserial\Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex
OR is it
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3

What are the settings I should use?

I just realised that dmjlambert already kind of answered the question last week with a link to this page.

It looks like I want the "combined" one
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3

I'm still not sure exactly which commands to use though.

Yes, that's right. Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex is the USB-to-serial program, and Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3 is the USB-to-serial program combined with the DFU bootloader all in one file. So I believe you can use either one. I suggest using the combined one so your Uno will be just like from the factory.

If you are using the command line avrdude with the USBasp to reprogram it, you have to figure out the full path to the executable and config file, and the various command line options. The way I usually like to do that is I go in to the IDE preferences and check the box for show verbose output during upload, then I go on the menu to Tools, Port and select the port of the programmer, and go to Tools, Programmer and set the programmer type. Then go to Tools, Burn Bootloader. It will error out, but that is ok. The console in the bottom of the IDE will show you the command line it tried to use.

For example, I have an Arduino as ISP running on my Uno, so the command line I saw it attempt is:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodem411 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

Now I just copy that into a text editor and delete everything after the -e

This is the stuff you will need after the -e :

-U flash:w:Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0xF4:m

cd into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\ directory before you run the command line you've assembled, so it will find the hex file. Otherwise you would have to give the whole path to the hex file.

dmjlambert:
Yes, that's right. Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex is the USB-to-serial program, and Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3 is the USB-to-serial program combined with the DFU bootloader all in one file. So I believe you can use either one. I suggest using the combined one so your Uno will be just like from the factory.

If you are using the command line avrdude with the USBasp to reprogram it, you have to figure out the full path to the executable and config file, and the various command line options. The way I usually like to do that is I go in to the IDE preferences and check the box for show verbose output during upload, then I go on the menu to Tools, Port and select the port of the programmer, and go to Tools, Programmer and set the programmer type. Then go to Tools, Burn Bootloader. It will error out, but that is ok. The console in the bottom of the IDE will show you the command line it tried to use.

For example, I have an Arduino as ISP running on my Uno, so the command line I saw it attempt is:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodem411 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

Now I just copy that into a text editor and delete everything after the -e

This is the stuff you will need after the -e :

-U flash:w:Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0xF4:m

cd into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\ directory before you run the command line you've assembled, so it will find the hex file. Otherwise you would have to give the whole path to the hex file.

Tomorrow when have time to look into it further I will try to get this working.

On my machine the paths are...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex

and if I Burn Bootloader with nothing connected to the USBasp I get

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cusbasp -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

I'm assuming -patmega328p has to be changed to reflect that I'm programming a 16U2 to something like -p m16u2 ?

Oh, yes, very observant of you. That's right, -p m16u2

dmjlambert:
Oh, yes, very observant of you. That's right, -p m16u2

Well, the spaces in the C:\Program Files (x86) and the .exe and the .conf files being in different folders made it more annoying than it needed to be so I found that I have the newest avrdude and .conf files in the Avrdudess folder so I put the .hex file in there too so everything is in the same place and I don't have to mess with full paths to everything.

From the command prompt I did this...

avrdude -Cavrdude.conf -v -p m16u2 -cusbasp -Pusb -e -U flash:w:Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0xF4:m

avrdude: Version 6.1, compiled on Mar 13 2014 at 00:09:49
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATmega16U2
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC6
         RESET disposition             : possible i/o
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no        512    4    128  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     16384  128    128  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Then added the -F just to see what I would get

Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no        512    4    128  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     16384  128    128  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x360000
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega16U2 is 1E 94 89

I then tried it using -cusbasp-clone

Using Programmer              : usbasp-clone

Description     : Any usbasp clone with correct VID/PID

avrdude: Device signature = 0x360000
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega16U2 is 1E 94 89

I don't know, could be:

• the wiring is incorrect, or
  • the 16u2 actually has a messed up signature or otherwise is damaged which means you would have to replace it or continue just using the FTDI adapter, or
  • the ISP programmer does not work as expected, perhaps you should test it to make sure it can burn a bootloader on the 328P

OK. After reading ridiculous amounts of forum posts about the MX-USBISP V3.01 that I have and mostly finding people having trouble with modifying it to work with Avrdude (mine was already modified by the people who sold it to me) I decided to just test it out as a programmer for the 328P.

I loaded up the blink sketch and Arduino IDE 1.6.5 seems to have programmed the UNO R3 using this USBasp just fine so at least I now it's not defective.

Supposedly the error I'm getting when I try to program the 16U2 is related to speed settings but I've tried a bunch of different -B options and it's still the same.

Maybe I'll try using the new UNO I just bought as ISP to program the messed up 16U2 just to verify that it truly is unfixable.

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cusbasp -Pusb -Uflash:w:C:\Users\dentaku\AppData\Local\Temp\build8786626872403991122.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated

eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\dentaku\AppData\Local\Temp\build8786626872403991122.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (1030 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.27s

avrdude: 1030 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\dentaku\AppData\Local\Temp\build8786626872403991122.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\dentaku\AppData\Local\Temp\build8786626872403991122.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\dentaku\AppData\Local\Temp\build8786626872403991122.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex contains 1030 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.22s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 1030 bytes of flash verified

Invalid version found: version 2013-07-07-17:51
Invalid version found: version 2013-07-07-17:51

By the way "Invalid version found: version 2013-07-07-17:51" is completely unrelated to this. I've been getting that since upgrading to 1.6.5.