Upgrading my grandmother's adjustable bed

I'm looking at trying to repair my grandmother's adjustable bed, the problem is, she lost the remote control for it, what I'm hoping to do is to make her a new one, as well as the receiver and make it so that when she hits a button the the motor one the bed kicks in and adjusts the bed for her. I've never used an arduino before but from all my research, it seems like the best way to go about doing this. If you guys could help, that would be AWESOME!!!!

Sadly your post is so devoid of details that it is impossible to help. What bed? What brand controller? What does it look like? Are there any specs? Is there a photo? Is it radio controlled, use a wire, or use infra-red?

I'm practically making a new bed, I was trying to figure out what the best way to get it all work. About the only thing that I plan on keeping the same would probably be the motor. I'm actually not at her place right now, so I don't know really any of the specs, I know it's for a twin size bed. I'll know more around Christmas.

PimpDaddySmurf:
I'm practically making a new bed, I was trying to figure out what the best way to get it all work. About the only thing that I plan on keeping the same would probably be the motor. I'm actually not at her place right now, so I don't know really any of the specs, I know it's for a twin size bed. I'll know more around Christmas.

I own an old adjustable hospital bed that uses AC linear actuators; one motor adjusts the tilt of the head/back, and the other adjusts the tilt/level of the feet and legs.

I suspect that your grandmother's bed is similar, in that it uses one or more motors to control the functions.

So - you would first want to identify what kind of motors you have - whether you have AC or DC motors, and what their current and voltage ratings are.

Likely you'll just want to use relays for the control of the motor(s); most of the these linear actuator motors have automatic cutouts for end-of-travel (ie - limit switches) which will shut off the motor if you make it travel to the end. This greatly simplifies things, as you will only care about directional control.

Likely speed control will not be needed, as such actuators already move pretty slowly anyhow.

So - identify the motors (manufacturer, model #'s, voltage and current ratings, etc) first - then we can help you further.

The main issue with that is that her bed is right around 15+ years old. I know that there are gears connected to the 'arms that move the head and foot up and down, that there are 2 motors, and I would imaging that the motor is AC because it is made to be plugged into the wall.

But, it's not so much going to be a Christmas present, it's just something that I want to do to give back to her for everything that she's done for me.