USB Communication from Arduino UNO to USB Host Shield to Computer

Hello!

I am a beginner with Arduino and my first project has the following setup:

Arduino UNO -> Host Shield -> Computer.

All of the components are connected via USB cables and I have a few questions -

1. Is this chosen hardware feasible for communication?
  2. Are there any tutorials with this setup that anyone is aware of? I have been looking for quite some time and can't find anything.

At this point in time I am just looking to get the slave to output a string to the Host Shield. Then I'd like the host shield to read and pass the data to the host (computer).

For an UNO You can use Serial Monitor un the IDE and read UNO data on the pc. No extra shueld needed.

This is the current setup. The host shield is attached to another UNO. My initial description may have failed to make that clear. Again, I’m a complete beginner so my apologies if my description was incorrect.

At this point in time I am just looking to get the slave to output a string to the Host Shield. Then I'd like the host shield to read and pass the data to the host (computer)

The host shield is a host, just like the computer is. So the host shield can not talk to the computer.

What exactly are you trying to do? What code do you have on each Arduino?

I wanted the host shield to send the data to its slave, then the slave would send the data to the PC. Is this possible?

The following schematic shows more of what I’m trying to do. Eventually there will be more than 3 arduinos connected to the USB Hub.

For now I’m trying to write a code that will simply send a string of data.
I’m looking for a tutorial or assistance to complete the following steps in order -

1. Uno 1 send string to host shield, host shield accepts and waits
  2. Uno 2 send string to host shield, host shield accepts and waits
  3. Uno 3 send string to host shield, host shield accepts and waits
  4. Host shield compiles these 3 strings into 1 string then passes to its uno slave
  5. This uno slave sends to PC

Why not just connect the hub directly to your PC?

Because although I'm only working with 3 arduinos in the hub now, I will eventually be working with about 40. So I'm using this setup as an elementary step to get to there

Sorry I still don’t get it. You expect 40 Arduinos into a hub? You still can connect it directly to a PC. I can’t see the point in the host shield.

Looks like you are going about things wrong. Why not just have a network connection to each of your Arduinos?

Using that many Arduinos is almost always a mistake why do you want so many.

Sorry but this sounds like an X-Y problem.http://xyproblem.info