Using arduino UNO USB host to send data

Hello guys,
I would like to use the arduino UNO USB host shield 2.0 to communicate my Arduino Uno with another slave USB microcontroler.

I found a library that use examples with mouses, keybords etc, but I didn´t find a library that allows me to send and receive data (string, int, float, etc...).

So my question is: I really need a library? (and which library?) or using the SPI communication (because the shield is an interface SPI to USB) I can send directly the instructions and data?

Excuse me but that sounds quite stupid. If it's a microcontroller you should be able to use another form of communication which doesn't involve such a complexity.

There are many examples for different areas but keep in mind that there is no such thing as a "general USB device". USB is a serial bus on top of which some often used standard protocols are defined (p.e. HID for mice, keyboards and the like) but often you need a special driver on the host to access the device. This is also true for microcontrollers. You have to install a special driver on windows to access an Arduino from there. That emulates a serial interface on the PC, you need a similar driver on the Arduino to access these devices. For the most common chips these drivers exist but as you failed to tell us which exact board you try to connect to we cannot help you further.

Yes, otherwise you have to control the USB Host Shield yourself and I didn't get the impression you're experienced enough for that.

Sure the USB Host Shield is controlled by SPI but in the end you have to send USB messages over the bus. I doubt you get that done without the library.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.