Using Python on Arduino Tre

First of all, let me give warning. While I have done research, I am very new to the micro controller scene. So, please forgive any ignorance on my part.

I want to program Arduino using python because it's easier then C++. I know that programming on all current Arduino boards cannot be done with Python because of the size of the interpreter is too big for the ram.

The question I have is, would it be possible to program Arduino Tre with Python? The reason I ask is because I see that the board has 512 MB of RAM with a 1 Ghz ARM Cortex-A8 processor. I know that this isn't the micro controller processor itself but with the two processors being on the same board, shouldn't the two processors should be able to talk to each other? What I mean by this is, the Python code would run through the interpreter on the ARM Cortex-A8, then the interpreted code would then sent to the Atmel processor.

For anyone curious I am looking to use Tre for Hydroponic sensors, more specifically the sensors would be electrical conductivity, ph, air temperature, water temperature, relative humidity and C02. I would also want it to send out these readings over the internet when requested or send out a warning when sensors detects going outside a certain set of parameters. Thanks for your time

You can only program an Arduino with C/C++ and the Arduino IDE makes that as painless as possible.

The Atmega MCUs in the Arduinos don't have enough memory or processing power to support an interpreted language such as Python.

The Yun (and presumably the Tre) has two separate CPUs. One runs Linux and can be programmed with Python etc. The other is a standard Arduino programmed with C/C++.

An important positive feature of the standard Arduino is that it has no operating system to get in the way of external hardware control.

...R

I want to program Arduino using python because it's easier then C++.

Get over it and learn the language or stop working with micro's.

Mark

@ Robin2

So basically Tre works like hooking an Arduino to a computer? You would do Python coding on the Cortex-A8, C++ coding on the Atmel processor and the two would talk using Pyserial?

@holmes4

www.micropython.org

Nave:
So basically Tre works like hooking an Arduino to a computer? You would do Python coding on the Cortex-A8, C++ coding on the Atmel processor and the two would talk using Pyserial?

That’s about right except that I don’t think you need to use Pyserial. I think there is an in-built way to communicate between the two devices.

Have you read the stuff in the Yun section of the Forum?
There should be a lot of relevant info there.

…R