Using WiFi class on a Yun

I want to use code that was built for a non Yun Arduino with a wifi shield can I use it on a Yun? If I do use it will it just login through the Yun's wifi? or will it need to be given all the login info? Also will it interfere with the Yun's usage of the wifi (for all the access & monitoring stuff)?

Thanks

willstr2:
I want to use code that was built for a non Yun Arduino with a wifi shield can I use it on a Yun? If I do use it will it just login through the Yun’s wifi? or will it need to be given all the login info? Also will it interfere with the Yun’s usage of the wifi (for all the access & monitoring stuff)?

Thanks

No, you can not.
Those are written for use with a shield that is connected to the AVR MPU, while on the Yun, the AVR chip does not have any connection to the WiFi part. All WiFi access is only possible from the Linux side of the Yun.
It’s a complete different (concurrent) concept using two distinct processors, for different purposes…

Ralf

willstr2:

1. I want to use code that was built for a non Yun Arduino with a wifi shield can I use it on a Yun?
  2. If I do use it will it just login through the Yun's wifi?
  3. or will it need to be given all the login info?
  4. Also will it interfere with the Yun's usage of the wifi (for all the access & monitoring stuff)?

Thanks

The Yun has two (2) processors; one handles the GPIO, the other handle the wifi. However, the wifi DOES NOT work like a shield. That (wifi) part is an entire Linux OS. The two processors communicate over a "bridge".

Please read Arduino Yún and Guide to the Arduino Yún, and Bridge Library for Arduino Yún.

@willstr2,

On #1, no.
On #2, see #1.
On #3, that depends on your application.
On #4, no.

Jesse