Voltage in/out

First of all hello everyone!
im new to the forum and to the whole amazing electronic universe! this stuff is amazing

I dont have any electronic or arduino experience hence the research im doing.

I want to be able to have the Arduino receive a signal from a source (13volt) and "lower" it down to 5v (arduino's friendly voltage) then output the signal to a 13v signal again.

Im pretty sure there is some kind of resistor or something that does this.

Any guidance, help, advise is highly apreciated! thanks in advance

Reduce the voltage of an input signal using a voltage divider (two resistors).

For a digital input, you could use 10K Ohms and 5K Ohms for a 3:1 divider. 13V in would be read as HIGH on a digital input.

There is no simple equivalent to raise the output voltage. You need active circuitry (transistors, etc.) for that, and we would need many more details.

jremington:
Reduce the voltage of an input signal using a voltage divider (two resistors).

For a digital input, you could use 10K Ohms and 5K Ohms for a 3:1 divider. 13V in would be read as HIGH on a digital input.

There is no simple equivalent to raise the output voltage. You need active circuitry (transistors, etc.) for that, and we would need many more details.

thank you very much for your response!

i want to be able to read an imput from a car harness electronic system and then do an output to the same system basically.

Again, im new to this so im collecting as much info as i can to have a general idea. I will research what you mentioned. Thanks again

With an automotive electrical system, you also have to deal with possibly extreme electrical noise, capable of destroying an Arduino. Noise suppression circuitry on input and power is required.

Outputting a signal to that same harness requires detailed understanding of the equipment receiving the signal.

This is not a project for a beginner.

jremington:
With an automotive electrical system, you also have to deal with possibly extreme electrical noise, capable of destroying an Arduino. Noise suppression circuitry on input and power is required.

Outputting a signal to that same harness requires detailed understanding of the equipment receiving the signal.

This is not a project for a beginner.

Everything you are replying is gold. thanks.

The output will be LED lights powered by a battery not connected to the car electrical system (correction)
But the LED lights is a 12V system.

Switching a separately powered LED system is not a problem, but you will need to post a link to the exact product you have in mind.

You could use a relay module designed for Arduino, or a switch using a MOSFET transistor ("M" could be an LED light string, in which case you don't need D1 and C1)

jremington:
Switching a separately powered LED system is not a problem, but you will need to post a link to the exact product you have in mind.

You could use a relay module designed for Arduino, or a switch using a MOSFET transistor ("M" could be an LED light string, in which case you don't need D1 and C1)

Awesome!! ok, this is great info! now i have a lot of homework to do!
im still figuring out what battery to use and the amount of LED lights to be used.
Ill keep you posted.
Thanks again

I hope you already learned to be more specific!

Likewise the input signal, what is the actual source of this?

Why would you not use that signal to switch the LED strip right away? (yes I know you want to play with an Arduino but this may not be the most appropriate use of one).