Walking Robot feasibility?

Hi there,

I bought a sloth robot with Arduino as part of my research for a startup and product I want to start.

I come from the consumer electronic industry and worked with mobile devices at top OEMs. Robots is new to me but I see them as mobile consumer electronics :slight_smile: too... at least so far.

In my research I talked to an "expert" who worked at a big OEM researching robots (his project was dropped) but he told me that the technology is (a) either very expensive (over $5.000 per robot) or (b) not well developed for building robots that can "walk" vs. balancing from right-to-left going forward. Mostly the big problem seems to be the "balancing".

That is why Sony has focused mostly on "dogs"...?!?!?!?

Just wanted to ask here if this assessment is truth or anybody has experience with creating robots that can walk in a balanced way, etc. I've seen the Boston Electronics robots but I'm sure they go well beyond $5k :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Eagle.

What extra features would you want to add to him?

B308B585-856A-4D64-8D9A-950493865AC5.png

B308B585-856A-4D64-8D9A-950493865AC5.png

Thanks Slumper, it would be great to see a video of how it walks... by only the png is hard to estimate how it walks and what extra features I would like to add :wink:

But I would like to have a 2 articulation points/knee if possible and the possibility to rotate the leg a little bit at the hip so that it can turn left or right with more ease... could you do that?

kisszu-eagle:
Just wanted to ask here if this assessment is truth or anybody has experience with creating robots that can walk in a balanced way, etc. I've seen the Boston Electronics robots but I'm sure they go well beyond $5k :slight_smile:

IMHO your question is much too vague.

If you were to pose a question of the sort "could I get this specific type of machine to move reliably under Arduino control" I reckon it would be easier to answer.

AFAIK humans walk in an un-balanced way - in other words we lean forward and then move our feet so we don't fall on our faces.

The 2-wheel balancing devices (like a Segway) are an example of computer controlled robot motion that is easily achievable with an Arduino.

Things will get a great deal more complicated if you abandon wheels because the motion of the limbs alters the centre of gravity. Dean Kamen (the Segway guy) and the folk at Boston Dynamics are very clever and have big budgets - they probably drop $5k when they go for lunch.

...R

A walking robot kit is available for about $500, from EZ-Robot.