"We should start a petition against the half pin spacing..."

A direct quote taken from here by Mr. leKuk. That was in 2008 (before Corona), and remarkably the Uno is still with us in it's original configuration. That's quite a testament in any product development cycle, never mind in wacky IT.

And yet I'm been bitten by this persistent flaw this very morning. Adherence and religious worship of past triumphs is great, but not always the only way. We should look forwards more than we look backwards lest we trip. The 1.27mm offset still bears connotations of non standardisation and vendor lock in, even if unintentional. And it's maddening, being only slightly less worse than the decision to have signed bytes in Java.

Where are we with this petition..?

cossoft:
The 1.27mm offset

It's actually not so neat as being 0.05" off the standard 0.1" grid. It's 0.06" off grid.

cossoft:
Where are we with this petition..?

Nowhere. If you take a look at all of Arduino's new products for the last couple years, you'll see they have on-grid pins. Arduino is well aware of the desirability of this. The "admin" user who shared the pictures of the original Arduino boards at the end of that thread is Massimo Banzi, the founder of Arduino.

Making a petition would only be a waste of time. Arduino is not going to redesign the classic boards. Those boards are open source hardware. You are welcome to make your own version with all on-grid headers.

In most cases it also prevents noobs from inserting shields wrongly too !
A bonus in many cases.

My signature would go for some form of keyed approach to continue that small safety feature.

There are lots of Uno, Mega boards, etc. available using more standard layouts.
If it is so important you can find those quite easily.

I'll admit I've almost plugged shields in backwards multiple times, and it wasn't even during my noob days!

pert:
I'll admit I've almost plugged shields in backwards multiple times, and it wasn't even during my noob days!

#metoo :grinning:

Plugged shields in backwards? I sometimes accidentally poke myself in the eye with a fork whilst eating. Yet I keep eating accepting that it was my fault. And square pegs fit perfectly well into round holes with enough hydraulic force. Your points being..?

That excuse seems exactly that. Condoning an old mistake. It's the first psychological stage of grief management :slight_smile: Shield reversal is a very low bar. The newish MKR/IoT boards have much less real estate than Uno does. I think that people would welcome a little more space. Inclusivity means that we can't all do surface mount work. Please remember that the customer is always right, the change is ultra minor and a 4th revision is well past due.

Does anyone have any clean suggestions as to exactly how to start such a petition?

PS. What's with the mounting hole adjacent to the power socket? It's off too. That means quite a tricky inter hole drilling operation if you want to mount over proto board. It's not as if there's a lack of board with commonplace 5 mil/5mil traces.

@cossoft

But you are NOT my customer I do this for free !
Hmm some people guess so wildly nowadays and assume too much without facts.
Oh well such is life today.

Oh and how do you see with one eye must be quite hard.
Never mind you always have the other one to poke out too.

If keying is a"mistake" how come thousands of manufacturers do it with connectors in one form or another Surely enough they are trying to avoid customers putting square pegs in round holes. but you go right ahead I have a larger hammer to sell you.

Not had any problem mounting any of my boards to other surfaces. Must be that one eyed judgement.
PS put the fork down or you will need a braille keyboard.

The official petition is on WWW.IDGAFF.COM where there are some other similar suggestions for things in life that irk some very small super niche groups.

Thinking this would look much better in bar sport where there are more people to read it.

BTW here is your BB version

Or another.

List goes on.

and on

and on

and on

and on.

Only kidding.

And on

And on.

In my opinion, the reason to use an Uno is for shield compatibility. It's not only a matter of redesigning the Uno, it's a matter of every one of the thousands of "Uno-style" shields needing to be redesigned. That's simply not going to happen. The Uno is what it is. As ballscrewbob pointed out, there are excellent alternatives if you want a board with all on-grid pins. If you don't care about being able to use Uno-style shields, use the Nano. When we already have a perfect on-grid alternative to the Uno, what is the point? I see your argument:

cossoft:
I think that people would welcome a little more space. Inclusivity means that we can't all do surface mount work.

but it makes no sense. Take all the space you want. You can get huge pieces of stripboard or protoboard and plug a MKR board, Nano, Pro Mini, Micro, etc. into it, then use through hole components to your heart's content. That's what I do.

cossoft:
the change is ultra minor

Then please go ahead and do it. Then you can see if how many people agree with you that the world needs a pointlessly oversized Nano.

cossoft:
Please remember that the customer is always right,

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha{pause for breath}hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

You've clearly never worked in retail or customer support.

(A friend who used to work for a modem manufacturers showed me a photo of a 25 way D-type socket that a customer had pushed a 25 way D-type plug into, upside down)

cossoft:
Please remember that the customer is always right

The change is ultra minor and a 4th revision is well past due.

I do remember that, its the mantra I heard during many years in IT customer support.

The Mantra is just that a Mantra, the real job of customer support is working out, despite what the customers says, what they have done wrong.

Releasing a UNO with revised spacing would be a weird move, there would be no shields that would fit it so a totally useless product.

It’s not that you’re wrong, it’s that you’re about 15 years too late...
(And the current “Uno rev 3” is about rev 8 of boards with that pin spacing...)