web editor cloud etc -Experience

Hmmm......

I have just started playing with the Arduino web editor and cloud stuff having just bought a Nano33-IOT.
Looks like it might be a short lived experience...

Obviously first day so lots of mistakes etc, just starting to get somewhere.... but I then get the Message " No more compiling for today upgrade plan" or some such message.

I don't want to sign up for $6.99 /month .

Why use the Web editor when you can use the normal IDE at no cost ?

The problem I’ve had is wanting to try out some of the IOT cloud stuff - which I was trying to get working and started to get somewhere .

I did down load a couple of relevant examples from the on line version to run on the IDE - but I’ve been unable to get them working , given up for now , but there were some library issues which I couldn’t resolve for connecting to the cloud .

Never realised the online stuff was by paid subscription

As you probably guessed, you can use Arduino IoT Cloud without using Arduino Web Editor. It is convenient to get that initial skeleton of a sketch for your Thing that Arduino IoT Cloud generates in Arduino Web Editor, but you can just download the sketch from there without using up any of your Arduino Create free plan’s compilation time allowance.

Arduino IoT Cloud also has some usage limitations, which are more restrictive when using the free plan, but you should be able to do plenty within those limits.

I actually like that the Arduino Create is a paid subscription service. If the project can sustain itself financially then it’s not taking resources that could have been used for the development of Arduino’s other software (e.g., Arduino IDE, boards platforms, libraries). If the project is profitable then it can actually help finance the work on the other software!

hammy:
I did down load a couple of relevant examples from the on line version to run on the IDE - but I’ve been unable to get them working , given up for now , but there were some library issues which I couldn’t resolve for connecting to the cloud .

I can definitely help you with that. Even though I have a subscription to the Arduino Create Maker plan, I use the Arduino IoT Cloud from the standard Arduino IDE all the time, mostly because I’m just so accustomed to working with the Arduino IDE.

I’ll create a new post next time around when I can be a bit more specific about the problem I’ve had code wise .

Really only just getting started in this area and the cloud examples lead you into the web editor - all a bit new .

Thanks