What IDE to use for 8051

I know it is off-topic here but I don't know where better to ask. For "education" I want to try to make a small project with a 8051 family chips (there is some DIY clock kit using AT89C2051 - I would like to reprogram it). AFAIK 8051 family is not supported by either Arduino IDE or Atmel Atudio 7.0 I am using. It seems the "go to" IDE is Keil but the cheapest license I have found was something like $2,000. Quite expensive for a single hobby project. If someone here is using 8051 family what tools are you using for it?

may be using the "Small Device C compiler"

Hi !!

1. Long time ago I've used Keil's IDE (µVision=C51) , evaluation version (2KB limited) with AT89C2051 chips (2KB Flash) First class C compiler for a chip not very C friendly.....

Still available ? Maybe :https://www.instructables.com/8051-Programming-Using-Keil-UVision-IDE/

1. IAR Embedded workbench for 8051 is 4KB limited .... and 14 days limited :worried:

2. Here is the Winckenhaûser µC/51 , 8kb limited demo (never used)

3. SDCC as full and free fallback path....

Atmel USED to have a "AT89LP Developer Studio", but I don't see it anywhere on the Microchip site (in spite of the fact that Microchip has now acquired several companies with 8051-like product lines. Hmmph.) (This used the same SDCC compiler that others have mentioned.)

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.