Wifi not working

Hello

Newbie here…

So my arduino yun was working perfectly, then I wanted to reset the wifi, because of change of carrier…finally I decided to reset it completly, by pressing the wlan button more than 30sec
Then I realized that the full reset didn’t happen, because I still had to put in the old password, but at that moment I didn’t notice the name of the arduino, so I thought it stayed also the same, as password…
I downloaded the OPENWRT-YÚN 1.6.2 UPGRADE IMAGE from the site.
Then I formatted the SD card and put on it the “openwrt-ar71xx-generic-yun-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin” on it
Still was able to get to the wifi, the arduino settings page…told it to reset with the new openwrt…

Since then, no more wifi, the wlan led is never on, not even at the boot, nor when I press the reset button for any period of time…

all the other reset buttons work, usb work, because I’m able to send and execute scripts… I have a bad feeling about the Ethernet working, since when I plug it in my computer (xubuntu 16.04) it searches the connection and never establishes it and I cannot get to the settings page with the 192. …
I’ve tried to access the settings menu, to check out if the time on my computer and the arduino is the same.

I’ve read some horrible stories about the new upgrade basically ruining your warranty and such, is it the case here? And why do they advise you to upgrade, if it damages the unit?

Am I really going to have to go through all the UBOOT process and the server setting for a stupid button push?

I have tried everything that I found on the forums, even picocom, but then I don’t know where to go from there…it says something, but then I am not able to type anything, not even f, when I reboot the arduino. Also the boot doesn’t show up like in the YunSerialTerminal
If I understand correctly, the reset all anyway command is done in YunSerialTerminal serial monitor?
For me it does nothing

Do I really have to go the hard way with the server setup and such?

here joint the info, hope someone can help

Also, typed in as sonnyyo advised, but then again in the serialterminal, is that right? and nothinbg came out of it…

Still no wlan led light, not even when I push the wlan reset…and it shouldn’t be toasted, cow I only use the computer usb, nothing more and this happened even before I started any projects…

Picocom.png

yun boot.txt (18.1 KB)

beroshima: And why do they advise you to upgrade, if it damages the unit?

The upgrade doesn't necessarily damage the unit. But, it is risky, because if you run into a problem while upgrading the bootloader, for example if you lose power while erasing or programming the bootloader, then you are in serious trouble - there will be no way to load a system without some very sophisticated tools and techniques (beyond the abilities of a vast majority of typical users.)

The probability of a failure is low, but if it should happen, the consequences are severe.

Am I really going to have to go through all the UBOOT process and the server setting for a stupid button push?

I think so. But what do you mean by the stupid button push? Resetting the Yun didn't get you here - the issue is installing 1.6.2 without updating the bootloader.

Also, typed in as sonnyyo advised, but then again in the serialterminal, is that right? and nothinbg came out of it...

No, that command is for the Linux command line, after Linux is fully booted up. Your Yun is failing during the boot process, so you can't run that command yet. That command is what is called when you hold the WLAN RST button for 30 seconds (which also won't work until Linux is fully booted up.) Typing that command is just a faster way to do the reset without holding the button for 30 seconds.

ShapeShifter: But what do you mean by the stupid button push?

The reset with the new openwrt LoL, they could've remind with bigger and more RED letters that part about having to upgrade the bootlader first...

But I remember that the very first time I started the arduino, I also upgraded the openWrt and that didn't screw up my wifi...

So what can I do now?

Could you please give me a good newbie howto for the fttp server-arduino plugged with ethernet+usb ?

Also, that means that my warranty is over too, right? but isn't it already over because I installed the new openWRT?

Anyway, thank you very much for the help and I wish you all success in your projects

beroshima: The reset with the new openwrt LoL,

OK, I see what you're saying, I guess it makes sense to look at that way. ;)

they could've remind with bigger and more RED letters that part about having to upgrade the bootlader first...

Yes, the documentation is often lacking. In this case, the information is there, but it is indeed subtle. What would be really helpful is a note that if you are upgrading a Yun, then it definitely needs the bootloader upgrade, since the previous version is 1.5.3. I don't know all of the details, but it seems like the upgrade is primarily targeted at the Yun Shield? Perhaps the initial firmware on the Shield is something after 1.5.3 so the bootloader update isn't needed?

Could you please give me a good newbie howto for the fttp server-arduino plugged with ethernet+usb ?

I've not tried it, so I have no advice to offer other than the published procedure. Perhaps there is someone else here who can offer some tips.

I wish you all success in your projects

And the same to you!

So, when I follow the procedure from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunUBootReflash , After I set up the TFTP server on my computer, I go to the my reset button boot doesn’t give the

ATHRS26: s26 reset done
eth1 up
eth0, eth1
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 4 3 2
ar7240>

option…instead it says : autoboot in 4 (stop with “lin”)…. So I type lin and hit enter and it get me to linio>….then what?
I can’t even seem to type there anymore…

Please help me, I’m starting to become desperate, also the ethernet connection never seems to establish…

I just want to reboot it, so the wifi works again, I don’t care if that erases everything, can I use the reset-to-facory-anyway command? If so, then where? In the Yun Serial Terminal?

Thanx for your replies and I will be posting a how to collection about this matter when I’m done with it

autoboot stp lin.png

sbinifconfig.png

ipadrrshow.png

Please help me!!!

I can't even ssh into it, because none of the names work

How is is possible to brick it this hard so easily?

Can someone please help me with the text, and what can I do?

Isn't there a script that I can upload through the yunserialterminal to get my Yun to factory settings? I can't even get into UBOOT, it gets stuck to autoboot, to abort "lin" but then I can't seem to type in the linio part...or how do I "talk" to the linio? Also, the openWRT I upgraded is "openWRT-ar71xx-generic-yun-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" is this the thing that broke my wifi and ethernet?

Also, joint the text it tells me when I reboot at 115200 baud

@beroshima,
yunserialterminal won’t work because it is quite likely that Linux has not booted. To be clear, you are using the Linio version and you likely bought the Yun from Arduino.org and not Arduino.cc There has been a split in the company. It is unfortunate. After this message if you have any questions, please read the following threads - as I will not be answer any further questions.

Arduino Yún .CC vs .ORG Compatibility?

Arduino Yún Retirement and Replacement

@Angelo9999 please consider shutting down this forum channel

At the prompt ar7240>, try “help”, “boot”, or just the carriage return. That should boot you in to the Linux system. If all works okay, then you are up and running. Last but not least, please use the forum on arduino.org.

Best of Luck,
Jesse

@jessemonroy650 there is no ar7240> prompt; only linino>.

@beroshima I am unsure about your not being able to type commands after stopping autoboot by typing "lin", but I think I was in the same situation as you and I had success just following the instructions on the page you linked (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunUBootReflash). The next step is to assign ip addresses via commands in the serial terminal.

Note, when I was doing it, the Yun was plugged into my computer usb (obviously) as well as plugged into my router via ethernet cable. I suspect that if you don't have a router or hub or switch, you will need a special kind of ethernet cable called a cross-over cable for a direct connection to your computer.