Wireless bridge or signal booster for a known frequency

We have a wireless camera system that is supposed to have a Tx power of 500Mw, transmitting at either 2462.5Mhz or 2472.5Mhz (Chanel 1 and 2). It has 3 large “omni directional circular polarized ” antennas (unknown left or right) This system is supposed to allow upto 5000ft of tx in a building and we only seem to get 500/600ft. The signal type is not disclosed from the manufacture, and they advise there is no way to retrains or boost the signal but a future model will have that capability. The unit has a signal scramble feature witch leads me to believe this signal can be picked up without the receiver. Is there any way to use a wifi repeater to retrans the signal? The antenna on the transmitter is enclosed and there is no way of a secondary or aftermarket antenna with more dbi.
Any input would be appreciated

I don't think so, a wifi repeater works with the wifi and internet protocols, nothing else. A wifi repeater is often a tight compact board with smd components, with chips that do multiple things. It will be very hard or impossible to determine how to use it for something else.

The camera system is not using normal wifi ? but a dedicated protocol ? That makes it almost impossible to do something with it.

If it is a good manufacturer, and they didn't lie with the 5000ft, perhaps the antenna connector is loose, or the antenna wire is broken inside the camera. You might also try to move the camera further away from any walls. Also the location of the receiver is important. Perhaps you have better reception in the basement or the attic than at the same floor as the camera.

5000ft is 1.5km, and using 0.5 Watt for that seems far fetched to me. I have my doubts. A range of 500ft (152 meters) with 0.5 Watt could be normal when there are many concreet walls, reinforced with iron.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Arduino platform.

But. It generally sounds like you have been sold a lemon of a system.

But... 2.4Ghz signals do not go though very much concrete or other materials, so if you are not operating on line of sight, I'm not surprised that you can't get more than 500ft. ie 5000ft may be some theoretical maximum if you placed the TX on transmission tower 500ft above the ground and could clearly see it from your reception point.

If you look at the First Person View (aka FPV) that a lot of model aircraft now use, you'll see that the receiver has to have a directional antenna pointed at the aircraft and that good placement of the antenna in the aircraft is essential.

There are videos where people get good range e.. 1km, but this is line of sight and probably with larger transmitters and possibly better receiver antenna's than you are using.

Thanks Peter:
The Camera is meant to be used with a Hazmat team. Many of the structures they respond to have thick or even lead walls which I know kills transmission. Especially with a system that is designed line of sight. I don’t do the glow bug hazmazt scene unless its really bad I stick to the Urban rescue, and have a little a little experience with the camera system on a drone that Ive been able to extend to 3 miles on a wifi signal so they came to me for advise, I don’t believe it is wifi , as I look on the Pc and saw no network but of course it could be masked. The manufacture was more interested in selling me the new model then trying to help so I figured this was worth a shot. I wasn’t sure if there was anything I could do or not but doesn’t hurt to ask =)

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes Roger:

Sorry about the off topic, it seemed people on this form had knowledge in this area. So i went ahed and asked
I agree with your lemon comment, the manufacture states a line of sight signal of 50,000 and up to 5000 obscured in structures. Im very familiar with the fpv systems and this is supposed to be a little more advanced. Anything in the rescue industry has a high $ and not always the proper resource. I fpv system on wifi may be the way to go I could fabricate a few small range extenders that could be statically placed when making entry. I almost doubled my personal wifi extender just by upgrading the antennas.
Thanks for the input

Many of the structures they respond to have thick or even lead walls which I know kills transmission

OK. It may not be a lemon, under these conditions 500ft would be pretty good :wink:
But the only reliable way to transmit the signal is via a cable.

You can probably rig up a repeater by taking the video output signal from the current screen / receiver (if there is a video out, and not just a screen), and feeding it into another video transmitter which is on a different channel, or digitize the signal into a PC or laptop etc using one of those USB Video capture dongles, then transmit that signal via Wifi or via cabled Ethernet.

It is technically possible to build a unit which would take a signal on a specific frequency and re-transmit it, but you'd probably need to have some knowledge of the modulation or encoding system used, and you'd need to build some quite specialized kit, especially as its almost in the Super High Frequency band.

Electronics gets very strange at these sorts of frequencies and its an area that very few people are skilled in

Also... as you are in a specialized field I guess this stuff is not going to be easy to make rugged or reliable enough to use, not even mentioning the safety certifications aspects :frowning: