Wireless communication guidance

Hello, I am trying to make around 10 arduino nano communicate wirelessly over a long range(>1 km and less than 3 km).
I am a noob at the communication part and therefore I dont know how to choose the best communication device for the application.
My hardware and environment conditions are as follows:

1. Arduino Nano
  2. I can go with LoRa or Rf modules (i require low power transmission).
  3. The data will be sensor output (500- 10000 int values).
  4. The speed of communication is not that important (should not take more than a min ).
  5. The Arduino Nano will have only one sensor attached to it. so there is plenty of room for other connections.
  6. All the arduino Nano and the wireless communication board will be placed in a ABS enclosure which will be placed in a metal tank. (could be any metal).
  7. The tanks can be kept outdoors or indoors. So the signal should be able to penetrate through walls/concrete,metals etc.

I have the following concerns:

1. what modules will be able to transmit data when it is enclosed in a metal tank.
  2. range of the module
  3. extra hardware other than the transciever (if needed).

Please provide this information;

Describe in detail the environment for this 3km, urban, flatlands, deep thick forrest, underground, size of buildings etc ? Quoting a distance on its own means little.

Give an actual figure for how many bytes you need to send from each 'sensor' and how often.

1. what modules will be able to transmit data when it is enclosed in a metal tank.

Forget it, sensor in tank is OK, but transmitter antenna needs to be outside the metal tank.

it can be urban or rural area. Not deep forests. It will installed in an industrial setting where there are multiple factories in the range of (2-3 kms).
The maximum data size will be 10 bytes and it will be sent every 5 mins.

Any possibility of leaving the antenna in the tank itself?
The tank will contain oil/diesel/chemicals.

shrinand:
it can be urban or rural area. Not deep forests. It will installed in an industrial setting where there are multiple factories in the range of (2-3 kms).
The maximum data size will be 10 bytes and it will be sent every 5 mins.

Sounds highly marginal, radio waves of any type do travel through walls that well, and hardly at all if they are sheet metal walls which is common in factories. Before going any further you would need to test that you have basic comms between the various buildings, transmitters outside metal tanks of course.

Any possibility of leaving the antenna in the tank itself?
The tank will contain oil/diesel/chemicals.

As I said earlier forget it.

In addition putting radio transmitters in fuel tanks is not the sort of subject for a volunteer hobby electronics forum. If you dont know how to do that sort of application safely, and judging from your questions you dont, you need to employ a professional engineer to advise.

A simple, quick test will answer your question about transmitting in side a metal tank.
Put you cell phone inside the metal tank. Use a second phone to call that first cell phone. If it answers, or you can hear it ringing, then your project is feasible.

Paul

Hi,
How will you power the Nano Modules?

If you need low power , look at ESP32 and Lora, sleep between transmissions.
Check what the Lora frequency is for your region as this will have some effect on performance, especially with walls etc.

Tom… :slight_smile:

You could just use the power wires as part of the system. Since it's unlikely you will want to charge a loaf of bread size battery every month, or that you will be able to place a similar size battery pack into a fuel tank, you'll need to have power wires to your micro.

Another option is to have a local repeater. Have a second unit [ nearby ]. Mounted and powered and high enough to transmit reliably.

Paul_KD7HB:
Put you cell phone inside the metal tank.

I like that suggestion for a number of reasons. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.