Wireless connection of calculators

Hello all,
I’m working on a project with a friend for wireless connection between TI calculators (original right?). I’ve got to figure out a way to connect the two calculators, which each have a send and receive (1 wire each). Upon some research I think the best way to go about it would be an arduino nano with a NRF24L01 RF transceiver. I’ve found some code to switch a light on and off with a button for two arduinos with NRF24LO1’s, so would that work if I put the output of the arduino into the input of the calculator and vice versa?

Thanks for your help.

(code for switching LEDs)

#include <SPI.h>

#include <RH_NRF24.h>

// Singleton instance of the radio driver
RH_NRF24 nrf24;

int greenLed = 3;
int redLed = 4;
int button = 5;

void setup() 
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(greenLed, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(redLed, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(button, INPUT);
  while (!Serial) 
    ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for Leonardo only
  if (!nrf24.init())
    Serial.println("init failed");
  // Defaults after init are 2.402 GHz (channel 2), 2Mbps, 0dBm
  if (!nrf24.setChannel(1))
    Serial.println("setChannel failed");
  if (!nrf24.setRF(RH_NRF24::DataRate2Mbps, RH_NRF24::TransmitPower0dBm))
    Serial.println("setRF failed");    
}

void loop()
{
  if (digitalRead(button)) {
    //button is pressed, message should be sent, turn the green LED on
    digitalWrite(greenLed, HIGH);    

// Send a message
    uint8_t data[] = "Aloha";
    nrf24.send(data, sizeof(data));
    nrf24.waitPacketSent();
    digitalWrite(greenLed, LOW);
  } else {
    // Wait for a message
    uint8_t buf[RH_NRF24_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN];
    uint8_t len = sizeof(buf);
    while (nrf24.waitAvailableTimeout(200) && nrf24.recv(buf, &len))
    {   
        //something was received, turn the right LED on
        digitalWrite(redLed, HIGH);      
    }      
    digitalWrite(redLed, LOW);    
  }
}

golfballs32: I've got to figure out a way to connect the two calculators, which each have a send and receive (1 wire each).

TI calculators usually communicate via usb. Therefore, you'll need two usb to TTL converters.

golfballs32: so would that work if I put the output of the arduino into the input of the calculator and vice versa?

Yes, but the problem is, "how does the TI interpret the serial data?" As in: does it accept 3 chars with comma delimiters, what does each char stand for, does it output 5 chars with slash delimiters, does it accept/send delimiters at all? etc.

You also need to figure out what baud the TIs work at.

You need to research on how each TI talks with the arduino in terms of information parsing and whatnot.

TI calculators usually communicate via usb. Therefore, you'll need two usb to TTL converters.

No, while TI calculators do have a USB port, they communicate via a 2.5mm audio jack link

Yes, but the problem is, "how does the TI interpret the serial data?" As in: does it accept 3 chars with comma delimiters, what does each char stand for, does it output 5 chars with slash delimiters, does it accept/send delimiters at all? etc.

You also need to figure out what baud the TIs work at.

Also, do you have any recommended reading for that or keywords to search for? As you might be able to tell, i'm pretty new to this stuff

this should help

golfballs32: No, while TI calculators do have a USB port, they communicate via a 2.5mm audio jack link

Also, do you have any recommended reading for that or keywords to search for? As you might be able to tell, i'm pretty new to this stuff

Try a Google search on;

ti calculator link