Wireless project signal

Hello, Im new to Arduino and actually I have no idea as to where should I post this question, so I figure out the general topic would be best. I have tried searching the internet for the answers but I cant because I think I do not know what to search for. So here's my problem, I have a few switches which switch a few applications mechanically. Now what I want to do is that I want to be able to switch those applications on and off from my Android tablet. For example I have a circuit which have three switches, each controlling a motor, a bulb and a buzzer for instance. And now instead of using the mechanical switches, I want to hook the switches to a board(arduino required?), which then can transmit wifi signal. Then using an Android tablet, I want to connect to the wifi and then launch application and control the switches from the application. As for the Android app, I could write it myself as I can code in Java. The problem is that I do not know what component to broadcast a wifi signal and how do I actually set it up. Is it a radio receiver? I believe there must have been people who already done this kind of projects. I would be happy if someone could point me to a project details or somewhat similar. Thanks a lot and much appreciated.

Well, from my understanding,you just need a wifi module on your arduino board.
Try to search "arduino wifi" and I believe there are many candidates which can fits your program

To accomplish your project, generally there will be two ways

1.The most simple way is that both arduino wifi and tablet act like wifi clilent. And you can using a router to connect these two things. In tablet application layer, you can write something like socket to commnuniate with your arduino board with specific command format you designed.

2.make the arduino wifi as the AP, and let the tablet to connect with it. Then you do not need another another third party device to do the commnuication

Also, both choices need you to finish three items

1. tablet applilcation
    2.communication format design
    3.program arduino to parse the format you designed getted from wifi api and control the curcuit you have.

Hope this would help you to finish your project.

If you just want a simple Android project to control a few switches you may find this RemoteXY Thread useful. It just requires a cheap Bluetooth module attached to the Arduino.

If you want to use WiFi I suggest you consider an Arduino Yun as you can set up a server on the Linux side and just write code for operating the switches on the Arduino side. My EzScrn demo may give you some ideas.

There is also a cheap ESP8266 WiFi module that will work with an Uno or Mega. I have no experience of it and, compared to the Yun Linux, the server programming will be limited - but may be sufficient.

And, of course, the Arduino could be connected by USB to a PC that has WiFi.

An Arduino cannot directly control anything that needs more than about 20mA at 5v. Motors and other things that need more current or higher voltages must be controlled indirectly with some additional electronics.

...R

Thanks a lot for the reply, they answers my questions and I know where to head now.

@ringwill_fusionwire
Arduino wifi search doesnt cut, but it led me to the terms hotspot and ad hoc, those are the terms i actually have to use but since I'm new I didnt know they are applicable on microcontrollers. I guess I'm going with the second choice because using a router is another problem as i need all the applications in a small box. Thanks by the way for the suggestions.

@Robin2
All three options you suggested are great but I think the RemoteXY are the best for me. Btw, the project I am doing actually is a car project, I have to be able to on, start and off the car from a tablet as well as any other electrical tools inside it like motors and lamp. No worries as all of them are switched by relay. There is already mechanical switches on the dashboard, so I just need to wire them in. The tablet will be mounted on the dashboard, so Bluetooth range is not a problem. Thanks a lot.