Wireless Question

Hi. Have a question re wireless messaging. I am sending the char 'A' from the TX board to the RX board using the following code:

vw_send((uint8_t *)c, 1); // Turn buzzer on...Transmit the character 'c' to RX board

c is set to 'A', ie c = 'A' in the setup part of the file

I am receiving the message on the RX board with the following code:

uint8_t buflen = VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN;// Defines maximum length of message
uint8_t buf[buflen]; // Create array to hold the data; defines buffer that holds the message
if(vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // &buflen is the actual length of the received message; the message is placed in the buffer 'buf'

I am sending just this one character 'A'. On the receiving end, on the serial monitor I print out
the loop counter i, ie (i=0,i<buflen,i++), buf[0] and buf
I get the following
i = 0
buf[0] = 255 buf = y with two tiny dots on top of the y
I was expecting to get A. Not sure what 255 is (isn't ascii for A) or the y with two dots is...Also baffled why i would get different outputs for buf[0] and buf when i =0 anyway.
using virtualwire library and the 433Mhz WL RF Transmitter + Receiver Module Link Kit for Arduino/ARM/MCU Wireless
Any suggestions what I might try would be greatly appreciated.

y with two tiny dots on top of the y

aka -1

Post your code.
Use code tags.

Not sure what 255 is

Being an eight bit number, it isn't ASCII for anything.

IBM PC code page 437, character 0x00FF, codes for "y" with two dots over it.

I think this might have generated a warning because c is, presumably, not a pointer.

vw_send((uint8_t *)c, 1);

Anyway, I think it should be this:

vw_send((uint8_t *)&c, 1);

Pete

Thanks for the replies...Pete. I'm using code straight from a working project from HumanHardDrive (Arduino Tutorial Lesson #12: Wireless Communication) for the wireless code. In his project he prompts for c on the TX side (1 or 0), then sends it to the RX....On mine I am sending the character without asking for it on a prompt.

I'm perplexed when I print out buf[0] on the RX side and get a different output than with buf when I is 0 too. shouldn't they be the same?

changed code from Serial.println((char) buf[ii]; to Serial.println(buf_; now both buf[0] and buf show 255 on the printout. Forgot we added the (char) element trying to troubleshoot. Apologies._
*Does anyone know why 255 shows up instead the character 'A' I'm sending? *
I guess I could use 255 in my if statement, ie if(buf == 255); instead of if(buf == 'A'); but that doesn't satisfy my need to understand what's happening and have any confidence in the result.
Thanks for your help.

crojai:
I'm perplexed when I print out buf[0] on the RX side and get a different output than with buf when I is 0 too. shouldn't they be the same?[/quote]
No. buff[0] is the first unsigned character in the buffer array. Since it is unsigned (not just 'char') it is displayed as a decimal integer: 255. 'buff' is a character pointer, a.k.a. character string, apparently of length 1. The string contains a character of value 255 which displays as the ÿ.

John. I now see what the 255 signifies. If I'm not mistaken 255 is the larger integer which can be stored in an 8 bit word. Am I correct?

So I am sending the character A to the RX. I added the statement vw_have_message to confirm a message was received on the RX side. It does receive a message. But don't know why when I print out buf[0] on the serial monitor I get the 8 bit word max of 255 vs the actual message sent which is the character A.

if(vw_have_message() == 1) // Satement added by virtualwire library recommendation as one of three statements to use before the get_message statement below// not in original HumanHardDrive code
    {
      Serial.println("Message has been received");
    }

if(vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // &buflen is the actual length of the received message; the message is placed in the buffer 'buf'

{
      Serial.print("buflen from &buflen = ");
      Serial.println(buflen); // Print out the buffer length derived from the &buflen above

for(int i = 0;i < buflen;i++)
      {
        Serial.print("i = ");
        Serial.println(i);
        Serial.print(" buf[0] = ");
        Serial.print(buf[0]);
        Serial.print("   buf[i] = ");
        Serial.println(buf[i]);

if(buf[i] == 'A')   <--- why not recognized???

Very puzzled. Bit lost here.

It's impossible to be sure because you didn't include some of the vital parts of your code, like the declarations, but I think el_supremo probably got it right in Reply #3. Did you try his suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't try it because I am using the exact same syntax as a working program in a related tutorial did for that statement. The only declarations I use related to the vx_send(... statement

[\code]

are

char c; and

c = 'A'; in void setup()

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just a suggestion...
If you are using Virtualwire, try the Tx and Rx examples in the library itself.
Just make sure your Tx and Rx pins match the examples.

I also agree with el_supremo and johnwasser. Unless you have a pointer, you need the & (address of) operator.

Try this example of the standard VW send sketch and see the difference between the two forms.

#include <VirtualWire.h>

void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(9600);  // Debugging only
    Serial.println("setup");

vw_setup(2000); // Bits per sec
}

void loop()
{

//const char *msg = "hello";
    char c;
    c = 'A';

digitalWrite(13, true); // Flash a light to show transmitting
   // vw_send((uint8_t *)c,1);
    vw_send((uint8_t *)&c, 1);
    vw_wait_tx(); // Wait until the whole message is gone
    digitalWrite(13, false);
    delay(200);
}

Please post the code from your link actually using

char c;
c = 'A';

Thanks so much guys...this gives me something to try...waiting for another uno module to try it...hope it comes soon...