Wiring Keyence IR Temp Sensor to Arduino

Hi guys,

I am new to Arduino and I am trying to use it to collect data from my Keyence IR Temp sensor for research purposes.

The Keyence IR Temp sensor has an Analog Output cable (Pink) which output a current that is ranged from 4mA - 20mA based on the temperature it sense.

I know the Arduino takes voltage as analog input, so I need to find a way to convert the current output signal from the Keyence to voltage. So, I just wanted to make sure if my wiring is correct (See Figure 1)

Figure 1

Here I used a 220 Ohm resistor to do the conversion, but I am curious if it works or not.
Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks!

The 220 ohm resistor should be connected between the sensor outout pin and gnd. Connect the sensor-resistor line to the analog port.

Hi Railroader,

Thank you for your reply.
I just wanted to make sure if this is what you mean ? Thanks!

You connected the analog input on then wrong side of the resistor. This way analog input is connected to gnd, and You will only read zero.

I am sorry for the stupid mistake.
Is this what you meant ?

If it is still not correct, would you mind shown me how it should look like ? I am sorry but I really appreciate with your help

That looks better.
Remember calibrating the analog readings. 4 - 20 mA gives 0.880 - 4.400 volt in the analog readings......

Awesome, thanks for the reminder!

Also since I am using a 12V power supply, should I change the maximum voltage value to 12 instead of 5 in this case ?

No, never! The 12 volt Vin is converted to 5 volt on the controller board converter. The entire board runs on 5 volt.

You are my lifesaver, thank you very much Railroader :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Come back and tell how it works out.

1 Like