writing to the serial port- easy one

How long would code like this run? I'm concerned about overwhelming the serial monitor.

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(){
serial.print("hello");
delay(20);
}

Figure on 1.04 milliseconds per character at 9600. "hello" (not a println, so no CR/LF) will take 5.2 milliseconds, so by the time the "delay" has finished, your transmit buffer will be empty.

Of course, your sketch won't compile, but that's easily fixed.

Are you under the impression the Serial Monitor has some limit to the number of characters it can read?

I wasn't sure if the arduino was holding that data somewhere, getting fuller and fuller.

Should I not worry about that?

Thanks

I wasn't sure if the arduino was holding that data somewhere, getting fuller and fuller.

The Arduino has a 64 byte software transmit buffer. It is filled up by "Serial.print" and similar functions, and if there's space for the whole thing you're printing, the function returns immediately, and the buffer is emptied by interrupts as the USART transmit register becomes empty. If there isn't room for the thing you're printing, the function blocks until there is space.

Thanks, so I should be able to print an analog read followed by a short delay for days, correct?

serial.println(A5);
delay(10);

Yes, but you need to spell "Serial" correctly.