Xbee module configuration

Hey

I'm completely new to XBee's and trying to set up wireless communication in order to transmit the data from a 3 axis accelerometer to my laptop. One Xbee is mounted on an Exlporer Regulated which is wired up to the accelerometer and a 5V power source, the other is mounted on a USB Explorer board which is plugged into my laptop via USB.

I'm completely new to X-CTU and having real trouble configuring the Xbee's in order to establish a connection. Could anyone please help with the necessary settings?!

Thanks

Could anyone please help with the necessary settings?!

Without knowing which XBees you have? No. Are they series 1 (point to point) or series 2 (mesh network)?

Series 1 are easy. Set PAN ID on both to the same value. Then, set MY on one to DL on the other. Don't use 0 or 255 for MY or DL on either one.

Apologies, they are Series 1 modules.

The example I had been following required setting the transmitter properties such as destination/source address, analog/digital pics etc in the 'modem configuration' window. Is this not necessary?

Where do I find the PAN ID, MY, DL settings? They're not jumping out at me.

The Xbee's seem to also come up with an error message and need resetting almost every time I try to write something which I presume cannot be write!

*cannot be right!

PS should I be able to immediately see the data in the terminal window if there is a connection?

Correction... The PAN ID, MY and DL values I have are already set to the same values as you say

The example I had been following required setting the transmitter properties such as destination/source address, analog/digital pics etc in the 'modem configuration' window. Is this not necessary?

Destination address is DL. Source address is MY.

If you have stuff attached to the digital and/or analog pins, you need to configure them. If you don't, you don't.

Where do I find the PAN ID, MY, DL settings? They're not jumping out at me.

OK. It seems you found them. What did you set PAN ID, MY and DL to on XBee 1? On XBee 2? Humor me, please.

The Xbee's seem to also come up with an error message and need resetting almost every time I try to write something which I presume cannot be write!

What firmware have you loaded on them? No, it isn't right for there to be an error message every time. I rarely have issues reading from or writing to the XBees.

PAN ID: 3332 MY/DL: 01234 Firmware: 10EC

I have established a connection before which has produced a whole load of dots and letters in the terminal but I haven't figured out what this means!

What did you set PAN ID, MY and DL to on XBee 1? On XBee 2?

Which question is this:

PAN ID: 3332 MY/DL: 01234 Firmware: 10EC

supposed to answer?

MY and DL on one XBee can not be the same value. Otherwise the XBee could only talk to itself.

Try again...

Xbee 1: PAN ID: 3332 MY: 01234 DL: 05678

Xbee 2: PAN ID: 3332 MY: 05678 DL: 01324

Two questions. Why are you using leading 0's? Is DL on XBee 2 01234 or 01324?