Yet another clueless newb who can't get his sketch uploaded

I started playing with an Arduino Uno last week. I was learning all sorts of wonderful things and in fact had my circuit breadboarded and the sketch running. There were a couple bugs, but I was very close to starting a PCB design.

And then, today it simply stopped uploading sketch updates. Pretty sure the problem is with my computer somewhere because I grabbed another Arduino (yes, I have two already) and have the same problem, but I'll be darned if I've got a clue. I didn't knowingly change anything but can't state for fact that something didn't auto-update on me.

Sytem details:
Windows 10
Arduino IDE 1.6.10

Board Info:
BN: Arduino/Genuino Uno
VID: 2341
PID: 0043
SN: 95437313334351B0B171

Purchased 2 starter kits from an Amazon affiliate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT0NDB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using verbose mode for the upload, here's what it copies for me when I hit the "copy error messages" button:
Arduino: 1.6.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 5,518 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 665 bytes (32%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,383 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build9945af0dce37fbc5e8d757c5aa1453c0.tmp/Console.ino.hex:i
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

What I've tried...

Reboot. Power off. No help.

Uninstall Arduino IDE. Reinstall. No help.

Did the loopback test. Works great.

Tried to update the firmware. Got the error: "Programmer not responding." Seems like it might be related, but I've no idea. I'm just grasping at straws here.

Help?

There is a bug in Arduino IDE 1.6.10 that can cause that issue when you start the IDE by opening a sketch(.ino) file(by double clicking on it, etc.). Please try this:

• Close all Arduino IDE windows
  • Start the Arduino IDE, not by opening a sketch file.
  • Open the sketch file via File > Open, File > Sketchbook, or File > Examples

The last opened sketch will automatically load when you open the Arduino IDE, that one should also work fine.

Please let me know how this works for you so I can provide the developers with more evidence that this is a legitimate bug.

OK, that didn't fix it but it's shocking to me that the behavior changed. New error message (same sketch)...

Arduino: 1.6.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 5,518 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 665 bytes (32%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,383 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build9945af0dce37fbc5e8d757c5aa1453c0.tmp/Console.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jun 22 2016 at 16:05:21
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino2/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20

avrdude done. Thank you.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

My guess is it actually did work and you're now encountering a new issue. Are you sure your Arduino is on COM3? Try this:

• With the Arduino board unplugged from the USB open Tools > Port and note the listed ports.
  • Close the Tools > Port menu.
  • Plug in the USB cable on the Arduino board
  • Wait a bit for the Arduino board to connect
  • Open Tools > Port, the new port on the list is your Arduino board. In some cases it will have the name of the board next to the port name but this doesn't happen with all boards.

With IDE opened by not clicking on an ino file and no board plugged into USB....

When I open the Tools menu, Port is grayed out. Nothing to select there.

When I plug in the Arduino, "COM 3 (Arduino/Genuino Uno)"

edit: And the loopback still works fine.

Got it working, but to not leave anyone wondering....

pert:
There is a bug in Arduino IDE 1.6.10 that can cause that issue when you start the IDE by opening a sketch(.ino) file(by double clicking on it, etc.).

My guess is it actually did work and you're now encountering a new issue.

You are a God among men. You were correct on both counts.

The first problem was indeed caused by clicking on the sketch file rather than pulling it in from an already opened IDE. Doesn't make sense that it would have worked for a week, but even now that I have everything working I have reproduced the problem. Double click on the .ino file == NoUploadsForYou.

The second issue was caused by still having the loopback test wired up on my board. Pull the loopback wires and everything is fine.

I hope.

Haven't rebuilt my circuit yet....

Glad to hear it's working! Thanks for giving an update, I've added this thread to the list of users confirming the bug. The issue report is at Windows 10 64Bit, Arduino 1.6.10 upload issue. · Issue #5173 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub.