3 Metre Water tank sensor - Ultrasonic

Hello,

I am trying to purchase an ultrasonic sensor to measure the depth of water in my rainwater tank.

I originally thought of a HC-SR04

But am now leaning more towards the more expensive GH-311 as it is supposed to have more range.

Does any one have experience building such a project and if so what sensor did you use please?

I am not looking for extreme accuracy, within 10-15cm per ping will be fine, but I need to be able to range from 20cm to 3 metres.

Any help very gratefully recieved.

Thank you

I use a pressure sensor to measure water depth in rainwater tanks. The sensor can be either at the bottom of the tank, or located in the output line. Much easier and more reliable than ultrasonic devices (which are constantly exposed to water saturated air).

pressure = 9.8 kPa/m

I've had pretty good success with the JSN-SR04T (until I blew up the driver board that is). Nice and cheap and weatherproof (just the sensor).

I just mounted my sensor inside the end of some 32mm corrugated conduit (sealed with silicon) and cable tied it to the top of the tank. I'm renting so didn't want to put it in permanently.

Also just took a look at that GH-311 sensor and it only measures whether an obstacle is in range, not the actual distance.

jremington:
I use a pressure sensor to measure water depth in rainwater tanks. The sensor can be either at the bottom of the tank, or located in the output line. Much easier and more reliable than ultrasonic devices (which are constantly exposed to water saturated air).

pressure = 9.8 kPa/m

Which pressure sensor do you use?

npkamen:
I've had pretty good success with the JSN-SR04T (until I blew up the driver board that is).

how did you blow up the board ?
I just ordered one.

the SR04 is a 4 wire device
the SR05, is a 5 wire and is supposed to read to 4 meters.
not sure of the difference between the SRF05 and the SR05.

dave-in-nj:
how did you blow up the board ?

Through human error (accidentally put 12V onto the 5V pin). Was working well until I did that :wink:

npkamen:
Through human error (accidentally put 12V onto the 5V pin). Was working well until I did that :wink:

good that it was not crappy board
I need to monitor a sump pump and plan on using a car reverse sensor.
seems no one has created a board to ping the sensor and then read the value. that is except the Chinese who use some sort of micro to do that.
the car versions are claimed to have water proof sensors, but then only offer up to 3 meter range.
I need to mount a foot above the floor to eliminate the dead zone, and luckily the worst is 1.5 meter.
the OP looking for 3 meters although some of the e-bay sites say 4.5 meter
maybe the JSN board does 4.5 meter ?

Which pressure sensor do you use?

Since the rain water installation is for a home and has to last, I use very high quality industrial sensors (Omega PX309). I am quite happy with their performance.