Arduino IDE display issue

I am having trouble with the IDE. Some text displays OK but a lot of it is missing and/or garbled. Here is a screenshot:

OS is Debian GNU/Linux with the following packages
libjna-jni (4.1.0-1)
libjna-java (4.1.0-1)
librxtx-java (2.2pre2-13)
arduino (2:1.0.5+dfsg2-4)

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Mars29:
I am having trouble with the IDE. Some text displays OK but a lot of it is missing and/or garbled. Here is a screenshot:

OS is Debian GNU/Linux with the following packages
libjna-jni (4.1.0-1)
libjna-java (4.1.0-1)
librxtx-java (2.2pre2-13)
arduino (2:1.0.5+dfsg2-4)

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Gosh that's strange. It looks like a corrupt font is being used for certain text.

How about this... in order:

• shut down the IDE
  • go to your ~/.arduino directory
  • cp "preferences.txt" to "preferences.bak",
  • rm "preferences.txt"
  • restart the IDE

see if that helps. You may have a bad font definition in the preferences file.
Also, be sure your font cache is up to date and clean. At a command line, type this:

[b]fc cache -fv[/b]

Hope this helps... can't think of anything else at the moment.....

I assume you meant
fc-cache -fv

I tried that and it did not help.

But I did notice that if I resize the window, occasionally the text will get redrawn correctly. And sometimes only about half of the text gets redrawn correctly. But if I scroll the text, it will get redrawn wrong again.

The Arduino IDE is the only application that has this problem.

Mars

In the ~/.arduino/preferences.txt file I changed

editor.antialias=false
to
editor.antialias=true

and that fixed the problem. Thanks Krupski for pointing me in the font direction.

And I probably never would have made that connection if I was not just studying the Arduino Analog-to-digital converter and the whole aliasing issue associated with sampling frequency.

Mars

Mars29:
In the ~/.arduino/preferences.txt file I changed

editor.antialias=false
to
editor.antialias=true

and that fixed the problem. Thanks Krupski for pointing me in the font direction.

And I probably never would have made that connection if I was not just studying the Arduino Analog-to-digital converter and the whole aliasing issue associated with sampling frequency.

Mars

Glad you got it working... and yes I meant fc-cache, not fc cache. Typo. :slight_smile:

BTW, I run Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (64 bit). Ditched Windoze a long time ago.