Big load, 192vdc

MarkT:
Did they produce an argument to justify this incorrect statement?

Something about energizing the coils and building the magnetic field fast

The professional tuning shops have these brakes and they all drive them at 192v

Yes, I could by the hardware and software but that is lots and lots of $$$$$$

My problem here is that my know how on electronic is hopeless. I am trying to find my solution on Google but with all that electronics I am lost.

I am an simple electrician so ohms lav I know all about and some other stuff, but electronics I am trying too learn.

So, it seems that you have your knowledge in the right place here Mark T. What should I buy to make this work properly?

I would like to have 100hz of switching.

I would start by doing some basic Arduino PWM control of small motors or solenoids first so you
understand things better and can play with your code without blowing expensive stuff up.

The mains power stuff needs someone with qualifications/experience in industrial electricity
installations and regulations. It will probably be quite expensive due to things like contactors,
phase-imbalance cutout/breaker.

The use of a truck battery might be more economic as 24V isn't subject to the same legal
requirements, but its still high current circuitry so even a simple switch will be expensive - breaking
160A at DC is not easy at all.

Last tip for high current/high power electronics - wear eye protection.

Okay, new information... Google servers is overheating haha :slight_smile:

I found out how this is to be solved (that's how sportdevices are doing it)

They use two SCR-rectifiers to make the DC voltage and they uses a semikron SCR trigger module to gate the SCR's. the trigger module is controlled by 0-5 volts.

trigger module: skpc200-240
SCR rectifier module: SKCH 28

I could purchase those modules and control the trigger module from my Siemens PLC. The amperage problem can be solved by finding a transformer 400v to 230v.

Perhaps I can find a cheaper trigger module or is arduino capable of doing this??

http://shop.semikron.com/en/Products-and-Shop/Product-Groups/Others/SKPC200-240.html

Sounds plausible - for that power level I'd have assumed 3-phases though.

This is how it's done. Yes I would prefer to use tree phases. But I have to settle with one and hope my main fuse can hold

Hello
I wonder if you got the project working?
I´m also doing the same thing but i have another idea for faster response of the brake and less interference in the grid (Thyrsistors can make big noise in the grid).

My plan is as follows:

400VAC => Transformer=>Then i have around 180VAC on sec.side.
180VAC => Full bridge rectifier=>out comes around 220VDC approximately
+220VDC => Connected to one of the brake windings
GND => Goes through N Channel MOSFET drain
MOSFET Source => Goes to other brake winding
Freewheel diode in place between brake windings

The gate of the mosfet will be controlled by MCU (for example arduino) to pulse for the brake signal to go from 0-192VDC.

The Mosfet could also be replaced by IGBT.
Maybe i can manage without the transformer and directly feed the circuit from 230VAC?

What do you think of this, am i missing something important?

Circuit

Something like this was my idea!

3000Nm? 5.76kW?

Those are large figures, this is serious industrial territory, and an electromagnetic brake that goes wrong
with 3000Nm of torque is going to cause a serious accident.

Wersch:
What do you think of this, am i missing something important?

Yes, education.
If you have drawn the diagram from post#27, then you should not attempt this.
What potential in relation to ground (earth) do you think the Arduino will be on.
Leo..