Hardware choice for basic home automation

Hi,

I'm looking on some advice for which hardware route to follow in terms of stacking shields on an Uno (or possibly a mega). It seems that there are some pin compatibility issues, and perhaps someone has tried stacking these shields before and can save me some money and time!

I am looking to create the following functionality:

1. Reset my mains connected router - ie switch it off for 5 seconds and switch it back on, using SMS
  2. Switch a light on or off over the 'net (using SMS in addition is a bonus)
  3. Switch a TV or radio on or off over the 'net (using SMS in addition is a bonus)
  4. Switch an audio alarm on for 60 seconds over the 'net (using SMS in addition is a bonus)

Which of the following two scenarios do you advise?

A) Using an Uno with a relay shield, ethernet shield and Cellular Shield with SM5100B for functionality 1), 2), 3) and 4).
B) Making two units: I) an Uno, relay shield and Cellular Shield with SM5100B for function 1) and II) an Uno, ethernet shield and relay shield for 2), 3) and 4) - sacrificing the optional SMS functionality?

Regards,
Evyn

Hi Evyn,
Shields are good for major building blocks like Ethernet and CELL Modem. But maybe for relays and the other things you may connect in the home for Automation, like temperature sensors, lighting and heating controls etc etc., it may be better to leave that more open-ended.

My favorite "top" shield is the "Sensor Shield" , AKA the "EZ-Connect Shield". See: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/SensorShield

DISCLAIMER: Warning, mentioning stuff from my own shop... but that's what I know best.

You can connect many different relay boards and DC power control boards with simple cables: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower

And various sensors like: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Brick-Temperature-DS18B20

This way most connections are made with good cables that are more secure than breadboards and wire jumpers.

Tell us more about your long-term goals...

Thanks Terry.

Right now my goals are to get this system working. I'll take your advice into account, but I'd prefer not to have to import anything at this point. Too expensive for me and way too many things go missing unfortunately...

Evyn

I don't know much about the sms or net but for the control relays you may have a problem depending on where those tnings are located relative to the arduino,
if they are spread out or in different rooms a shield would be useless unless you had the arduino by your main electrical panel and tapped into the wires going to your devices, hopefully that are on somewhat dedicated lines
this would be a goood spot out of sight to hhave the network but if its your basement may be bad for sms reception

Hi, Good reasons to locate relays remotely from Arduino and maybe even use opto-isolated ones like these: http://goo.gl/Hu1I5

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

I would advise using a mega 2560you instead of the uno, it allows to to control many devices and relays

Point taken about locating the relays - so I suppose I can leave out the relay board and run everything off a single Uno (which should be fine ot control only 4 things). The mega will come later... and I'll build some single relay breakout boards.

Terry: I had a look at your site... fyi under billing address, it only allows USA, Canada and Chinese states in the state/province dropdown, but allows other countries in the country dropdown. I suggest you just use a textbook for the state/province... I am from South Africa, for example, so none of the available options apply.

fyi under billing address, it only allows USA, Canada and Chinese states in the state/province dropdown, but allows other countries in the country dropdown. I suggest you just use a textbook for the state/province...

Yes, the problem is the choice doesn't change until AFTER you select a country. I have been complaining about this to the ShoppingCart software supplier. Hope it gets fixed! It is confusing... Thanks for the feedback!

Terry: On my browser it's not changing at all... I'm running firefox.