Is there an interest in 3d printed custom enclosures?

Hello, I just wanted to ask the Arduino community if there is an interest in custom enclosures for projects?
I am getting a 3d printer in approximately 5 weeks and will be creating my own for my own use.
It is able to print in ABS and PLA plastic, you can send me your cad files (.stl recommended) or I could design them as I have experience in 3d modelling.
If this idea does go on and if there is a demand I will try and keep the prices fairly reasonable.

Just a reminder that this is an idea, feel free to leave your thoughts.
Thanks

There are generic enclosures for the different Arduinos, but you could offer custom enclosures and design. If you were fast and did it at a reasonable price, you could make some money.

Riva:
That's a nice idea but what continent are you based on?

I am based in Victoria, Australia.

codlink:
There are generic enclosures for the different Arduinos, but you could offer custom enclosures and design. If you were fast and did it at a reasonable price, you could make some money.

Yes, I have seen many generic enclosures. My intent was to make a case for my Arduino Fio and components as there are no enclosures which accommodate for my needs.
As I stated previously I wanted to keep these reasonably priced and as for the speed in which these can be produced is dependent on the design and also if the customer supplies a cad file or not. I could also offer some generic designs.

This is just a concept so further ideas may be implemented.

Thanks

Well, the problem is there are too many options for an Arduino shield. There are hundreds of them available. Also many are becoming stackable. You may browse the shops to see what shields are most popular and design and build enclosures for them with the Arduino plugged in.

The one's that come to mind for popularity are the waveshield and motor shield from adafruit (I believe). Also, the ethernet shield..

Keep in mind services like Ponoko offer this already.

My experience with 3D printing has been that it really needs to be iterative to be effective, which means, sending files to someone else takes too much time.

I colledcted these things on Thingiverse:

Also, I'm in GA, so if anyone is interested in 3D printed stuff, let me know and we can make arrangements. I have a Printrbot LC, and will be expanding 2 of the print dimensions soon. Prints for trade, or for money.

Hi rep8
I could be interested.
What would be really nice is if you post what you are doing and perhaps how you are doing it.
I picked up Alibre Design a couple of years ago thinking I might get round to do some mech - but my brain wasn't able to make it work thoughI didn't try very hard
Solid products - need a design enclosure that works for the application. Easy to say, but takes a lot of figuring out the application. The experts politely call it iterative design.

Typically a product design starts with the enclosure and the electronics fit to that design - as designers think more of the user and what they want from it, the Smart Designer will start with the enclosure. There is a talk this week

(http://smartdesignworldwide.com/ - I'm not affiliated, but plan on going to the talk)
A really nice concept is being released by www.electricImp.com - a "SD Card" that has WiFi on it - the SD card format is low cost- and a fantastic idea to be able to be able to let it be retrofitted layer. The design is simple and very sweet - (disclosure - I hadn't hear of two weeks ago)
So yup, be great to hear about what works for the current designs - maybe what the challenges are - and who knows might feedback into the next generation of XXX - on how to make it work as an application.

These boards are coming out with some simple enclosures -
http://rayshobby.net/ Mega328 board
http://cubieboard.org/ Allwinner ARM A8 with 1Gram + Ehternet +USB Host+HDMI
Always Innovating: Introducing the MeCam - I think this is Open Source Android HDMI dongle, but maybe not - nice simple concept.

These don't appear to have enclosures yet - roll your own-
http://pinocc.io/ - Mega256RF
http://www.pcduino.com/ - Allwinner ARM A8 with 1Gram +Ethernet+USB HOST+HDMI

so be fantastic to hear what you're process is, what the difficulties are and results pictures etc

I'm interested. The most significant issue in my project has been the enclosure. I am using a 20x4 LCD and it's the width that is the sticking point. In the end, it seems like I might have to simply sit down with template making material and rough something out, then send it to a 3D printing outfit.

av8or1:
I'm interested. The most significant issue in my project has been the enclosure. I am using a 20x4 LCD and it's the width that is the sticking point. In the end, it seems like I might have to simply sit down with template making material and rough something out, then send it to a 3D printing outfit.

I have a 3D printer if you want to PM me with some specifics, I would be willing to help.

codlink:
I have a 3D printer if you want to PM me with some specifics, I would be willing to help.

Email sent, thanks

Yes i think there is a lot of interest about 3D printing technology. You would have better knowledge about 3D printing just visit this site http://electronicsfanboy.com/index/future-technology/3d-printing-set-to-revolutionize-the-future/ to know more.

Well, I started a thread cataloging the trials and tribulations of designing and constructing even a very simple enclosure for my simple project. It's filed under Gigs and Collaborations. The thread is called, The Magic Candle. As that thread reveals, coming up with a workable design for an enclosure is an extremely difficult undertaking. I had to put the electronics side of the project on hold while I work out a practical and cost effective method of making a suitable and aesthetically pleasing job of it.

I have experience in building enclosures from metals such as aluminium and brass. However, these on offs took a phenomenal amount of effort. So now I'm looking for a way to make up an enclosure quickly.

I think we need more posts and threads here offering drawings to help us aid our approaches to enclosure construction. There is a huge number of materials and methods out there.

While the 3d printer certainly has a lot of appeal, they are limited in materials that can be used, and also they come with their own set of problems. They are by no means easy to use and require a lot of setting up an maintenance for each run.

On the Magic Candle thread you can view a drawing of the most recent part I have created on CAD. This part could certainly be produced using a 3d printer very effectively.

I will be posting more parts for this design. Many will undoubtedly prefer square enclosures. I think it would be useful to have section of the forum for posts on enclosures.