So are any tablet computers able to interface with an Arduino

Just wondering what might be available in the tablet world that might be able to communicate directly with an arduino via a USB cable?

And I assume there in not and not likely ever will be a tablet that will be able to run the arduino IDE directly? I guess a netbook would be the most likely candidate for a small portable arduino support platform?

Lefty

Well the windows surface should be able to run anything that can run on windows 8, right? It has a USB controller on it.

My Motorola Xoom (Android JellyBean) can talk to my arduinos, as long as I use the USB host shield.

Another option is to use the OTG USB adapter on the Xoom, so there is no need for additional hosts on the arduino. This, however, is a bit useless.

About runnig the IDE on android, I find it a bit hard, because there is simply too much code to be converted.

WizenedEE:
Well the windows surface should be able to run anything that can run on windows 8, right? It has a USB controller on it.

Thanks for that, I'll try and follow it when it is actually released. Sounds like it might cost a lot more then a simple functional netbook however, which is all the Arduino platform requires.

Lefty

retrolefty:

WizenedEE:

Thanks for that, I'll try and follow it when it is actually released. Sounds like it might cost a lot more then a simple functional netbook however, which is all the Arduino platform requires.

True. The only relevant differences between a tablet and a netbook is the processor type (and I think (with absolutely no reference) that the surface uses an intel anyway), USB hosts, and the fact that a tablet has a touchscreen.

tablets use cheaper processors, but the touchscreen is expensive.

avrdude hasn't been ported to an ARM, which seems like the main barrier to getting the IDE on a cheap device. So if you can't use the cheap processor, there's no real point in getting a touchscreen, especially since those are terrible for typing anyway. Furthermore, I think you can buy a netbook for under $200, which is the price of the cheapest tables I've seen (kindle fire and the nexus 7)

In short: there really isn't a reason to want a tablet over a netbook for this application.

Other: someone should really just port avrdude to the ARM -- code from raspberry pi to arduino would be neat. I might work on that when I get my pi in 11 weeks. Yes, the one I ordered two months ago :roll_eyes:.

retrolefty:
Just wondering what might be available in the tablet world that might be able to communicate directly with an arduino via a USB cable?

And I assume there in not and not likely ever will be a tablet that will be able to run the arduino IDE directly? I guess a netbook would be the most likely candidate for a small portable arduino support platform?

Windows tablets have been around for about ten years now. I don't know if any of them qualify as tablets to you.
You could probably find both used or new Table PCs running Windows XP tablet PC edition, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
These should all be able to run the IDE just fine. Besides that, I doubt that they will be much fun.

A Raspberry Pi could do the job:
http://raspberrypi.homelabs.org.uk/raspberrypi-the-arduino-development-tool/

Erni:
A Raspberry Pi could do the job:
http://raspberrypi.homelabs.org.uk/raspberrypi-the-arduino-development-tool/

What job? The job of being a tablet?

This job

a small portable arduino support platform

Erni:
This job

a small portable arduino support platform

I was under the impression that the OP wanted something that was easier to carry around than a laptop and easy to hook up to the Arduino. Guessing preferably with a touch screen.

Have you seen an example that has been more "small portable" than a laptop?
I'm not saying that it can't be done because it can but I haven't seen any very slick solutions including display and at least some kind of input device. I would definitely like one :slight_smile:

Hi, New kid on the block asking if it is possible for a Pendo Pad (Android) to run the arduino IDE and hence the Uno board. This device came as part of a DoDo "change of service provider" package and apart from checking emails, it is about as much use as a rubber ladder. I just wondered if anyone else has managed this feat of engineering.