Teensy 3.0 help.

I know I am not the best programmer, but I have heard these things:

Are "arduio" compatible but have more memory and functionality.

I just download a bit of software and "plug it into the Arduino program" and I can program it the same as the Arduino.

Sorry if it is Off Topic, but I don't know where else to ask.

I have some big projects and alas there isn't any way the Arduino would deal with it.

Ok, there are other ones out there, but as it is so "compatible" I thought it may be worth investigating.

Sorry if it is Off Topic, but I don't know where else to ask.

Ask what? Your post does not contain any questions.

They're a bit cheaper from the person who did all the work... PJRC Store

Ask if anyone has used them and their thoughts.

I am wanting to build a real complicated thing - still in concept stage - and as I said I don't think the Arduino would cut it.

I used the link only as a reference but thanks.

So to not make the mistake again, I would like to know if anyone has used one and can tell me how "compatible" they are with an Arduino?

I have Teensy 3.0's and an Uno. The teensy is generally compatible at the software level with the Arduino, and the IDE used is a modification of the Arduino IDE. And most (all?) of the libraries provided with the Arduino are included and ported.

However, note that internally the Teensy 3.0 uses an Arm processor, and most of the Arduinos use AVR processors from Amtel, except for the Arduino Due. The Due uses a different Arm processor. There are some things that do hardware specific things on AVR processors that might not work on Arm processors. These include interrupts, sleep modes, bit banging to deal directly with the hardware. There are presumably different ways to do such things on Arm processors.

One other subtle thing is the size of the int data type is different on Arm processors (32-bits on Arm, 16-bits on AVR's), and a few programs unintentionally used int or unsigned and needed the truncation to 16-bits. Changing the types to int16_t or uint16_t allows these programs to run correctly on both processors.

Note, that both of the Arm processors (Teensy 3.0, Due) run at 3.3 volts instead of 5 volts, which needs to be accounted for in the electronic side of things (i.e. adjusting resistors for LEDs, using 3.3v components, etc.).

At present, the Teensy 3.0 is only available in DIP format, and there aren't shields like there are for the Uno/Mega/Due processors available from PJRC. There are two different people producing breakout boards for the Teensy 3.0 that bring out the extra pins located underneath the chip, and one of them now has a shield that converts the Teensy to an Uno style shield (the next version will have voltage conversion). Look on https://www.tindie.com/ for these with the teensy search term.

I would hesitate to say exactly how compatible things are, but it is likely to be in the 90% range. For more specific teensy 3.0 questions, you might want to ask them over at the PJRC forum: PJRC (Teensy) Forum.

The Teensy looks nice and the price is very reasonable. However, if compatibility bothers you, have you considered the Mega or the Due for your project?

wildbill:
The Teensy looks nice and the price is very reasonable. However, if compatibility bothers you, have you considered the Mega or the Due for your project?

Note, as I mentioned, the Due has some of the same issues that are based on different processors or electrical characteristics. When you get down to it, each of the boards have slightly different characteristics (how many digital/analog pins are available, etc.).

I've enjoyed working with the teensy 3.0. It's been much easier for me to work with than my efforts in the past with a Mega. And it's power and capabilities are not wasted due to the creator's efforts.

I have been soured on shields, because unless you are you using the most common arduino flavor at the moment, you have to try and figure out the exceptions.
For me, it seems a better use of time is just figuring out how to wire things up yourself, rather than trying to work around a shield that tries to optimize it for one specific board, and all other boards have to try and figure out how to work around it. Ultimately, there's a simple fix but figuring that out can be trying. I had cases where it was documented that I would need to wire things up differently (and/or bridge a pad) to the shield, but then the library would do an ifdef on the board, and cause pins to be used differently, and that caused a lot of headache with all the re-direction.

Hello

I have aquestion about Teensy 3.0
According to the official site: Teensy and Teensy++ Pinouts, for C language and Arduino Software
the pins above and under the board are overlapping each other. So they are shared.
How do I access both function on the same pin if I receive the board in this configuration PJRC Store ????

Thanks in advance
Regards

Hi,
New project, laser maze w.alarm for perimeter...which kit would be approriate..

tomtom12

the pins above and under the board are overlapping each other

Which pins?

How do I access both function on the same pin

Each pin can only have one function at a time.
Which functions do you mean?

Why don't you post this in the PJRC forum? http://forum.pjrc.com/forum.php

Pete

the pins above and under the board are overlapping each other. So they are shared.

All modern MCUs share functions on pins and that drawing is just a fairly standard way of showing the options for each pin.

But you can only ever use one of those options at a time, this is the same for all chips.

So for example on pin 23 if you wanted to use PWM and CS2 you are out of luck.

This can be somewhat annoying but as I said it's the same for all chips, the SAM used in the Due has some particularly frustrating function choices on the pins, for example you can't use the full external memory and USB OTG at the same time.

Rob

Thank you very much
But I think (it is my fault...) I didnt express myself in the right way.

I mean...how do I bring pins (like those: PJRC Store) on the little small square areas (GPIO 24, 25, ..., 32, 33) visible on the second picture (Teensy 3.0) here Teensy and Teensy++ Pinouts, for C language and Arduino Software ?

Regards

wilhem:
Thank you very much
But I think (it is my fault...) I didnt express myself in the right way.

I mean...how do I bring pins (like those: PJRC Store) on the little small square areas (GPIO 24, 25, ..., 32, 33) visible on the second picture (Teensy 3.0) here http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html ?

Regards

You can either solder wires to those pads (that's what I did), or you can buy something like this:

or this:

Good luck!

Those pads look like they are for a SMD header like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samtec-32-Pin-Male-Header-0-1-2-54mm-TSM-116-04-S-DV-A-Gold-SMD-SMT-/110997122085

(different number of pins but you get the idea)

If so you can just solder one on.

Rob

Here is how I broke out the pins to headers on mine using single strand wire and standard female headers -

Topside

Underside

There is a little Gorilla Glue used to hold the headers together where they are doubled and tripled.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Ok, now is clear to me!!

Thank you for your replies!!!

Regards

Hi
I wanted to ask you. Do you think could one solder these wires with this solder http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/588332/?insert_kz=VQ&hk=SEM&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=google_pla ???
Or do I need to buy a smaller one?

Regards

wilhem:
Hi
I wanted to ask you. Do you think could one solder these wires with this solder http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/588332/?insert_kz=VQ&hk=SEM&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=google_pla ???
Or do I need to buy a smaller one?

Regards

I think that soldering iron would be a fine size to connect wires to the pads on the Teensy, but my advise is to maybe look around for one that has variable temperature so you can work with smaller parts and different types of solder in the future.

Good luck!