2 sketches and 2 serial monitors at the same time ?

Good morning
I am setting a Bluetooth HC05 to communicate with an HC06 via the Serial monitor. Each HC works well, binds well.
I would like to see the data sent from one to the other via a serial monitor.
Each module has its own nano ok with the proper sketch running (one TX, the other one RX).
Each nano has its own USB port separate, from the same Mac.
How to have each sketch+module show its own Serial monitor ? currently, it is one OR the other one, no way to get both. I cannot see the transmission, it seems there is a reception but the Serial monitor has had not time to settle and shows fancy characters instead of the message.

How could I get it ?
I would like to see one the TX Serial-Mon the “hello” message sent, and on the RX Ser-mon the “hello” message received, both on the same Mac screen.

Thanks for the help

Start 2 instances of the IDE Do not do file/open from the first instance to open the second sketch.

Alas, MAC would not allow to open two instances of the same IDE. Maybe I will try and plug a LCD display on each ...? what do you think ?

Sorry !
Done, by renaming the IDE.

Thanks for your help, solved the issue.

Have a good day !

Guillaume60: Sorry ! Done, by renaming the IDE.

Thanks for your help, solved the issue.

Have a good day !

I know nothing of Mac's apart from the fact that they are expensive, but I find it odd that you cannot run 2 instances of the IDE at the same time.

Perhaps you should consider using a proper OS ;)

Good evening to you, Helibob Yes MACs are expensive but they were durable. Mine is working perfectly and it is 9 years old now ... Never crashes, no viruses, and it also can run Windows partitions. And you can access the harware and change what you need. Of course this is now a good memory from the past, since I can read the 'new' os are not compatible really, can eventually crash and eat a tremendous amount of processing power. Ans there is less and less privacy, one feels funelled into buying new versions of all sorts of things which were working beautifully but are not anymore compatible with the current version of OS which was downloaded a minute ago ! On top of this it is impossible ti even open the harware, so if anything goes wrong you are dead.`

Yes, If I had to purchase a PC it would be a Windows one.

While old i didn't see a solution posted to this one as I was searching to do this on my mac.

You can use the screen command from the command prompt to open a serial terminal session:

$ screen /dev/cu.usbmodem14201 19200

This gives you a basic VT-100 terminal. I'm able to monitor 2 boards on my mac at once.

Currently I have 4 copies of the IDE running in independent work spaces (screens). Yes I have them running the serial monitor and as I change code I upload it to the appropriate arduino with the others still operating. But I am cheating, I am running Linux Mint 18.3 and 19.1. Mint will run on a Mac, PC, Linux and possibly several other platforms. I cannot see both monitors at the same time but I can switch with a mouse click and in a few microseconds the new screen is up. This switching does not cause any problems with the serial monitor it keeps on ticking whether the screen is active or not. This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you. Good Luck & Have Fun! Gil

I have no experience of Macs but running multiple instances of the IDE, each with its own separate Serial monitor on different COM ports visible at the same time is as easy as starting a new instance after the first one and changing the COM port. Note that I do not mean that you do File>New from the IDE but actually start a new instance. I would be amazed and disappointed if the Mac could not do something similar

UKHeliBob:
I know nothing of Mac’s apart from the fact that they are expensive, but I find it odd that you cannot run 2 instances of the IDE at the same time.

Perhaps you should consider using a proper OS :wink:

If you know nothing of macs then how do you know they don’t have a proper OS?

If you know nothing of macs then how do you know they don't have a proper OS?

Did you note the smiley ?

BTW - can you run 2 instances of the IDE on a Mac ?

UKHeliBob: BTW - can you run 2 instances of the IDE on a Mac ?

Yes, from the command line:

open -n -a Arduino

-n = open new instance even when one is already running -a xxx = open application xxx

oqibidipo: Yes, from the command line:

open -n -a Arduino

-n = open new instance even when one is already running -a xxx = open application xxx

Personally I prefer to do it in Windows just by clicking an icon in the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen :)