433 MHz receiver/transmitter for wirelss usb?

i am considering buying two 433MHz kits, to get transmit and receive capabilities on both ends, and use it as a way to transmit usb data both ways..

i think this is possible, as the default usb update rate is 125Hz so using something on 433MHz, it should be fast enough for a usb something to work, as long as i can get it to send and receive the data on the right pins.

but i am unsure if this is possible, hence why i am looking here if someone has had the same idea, and failed, or has had the same idea, and want to help as much as possible..

the main reason why i am looking into this, is because i want to try making a wireless usb port, so i can access it from anywhere outside, while the usb device(in this case a harddrive) stays inside. the range of 433MHz should be good enough for it to reach me out in my garden, without the need to get power out there(for the drive i am using, it needs a 230v power connection) as there would only be the laptop, and the 5v out of it going to an arduino to power the wireless usb port.

so long story short, does anyone know if this will fails spectacularly before i even try to make it, or do people want to find out if this is possible?

No.

USB 1.0 is like... 1.5 mbit/sec. USB 1.whatever is 12mbit, USB 2.0 is 400 mbit iirc. Acting as a gateway for a USB harddrive is orders of magnitude out of the arduino's capability, much less the wireless.

With overhead you can get a couple of kbit/sec over those cheap 433mhz

I think latency may make wireless USB bridges impossible (or very hard)

If you want to access your USB harddrive outside, share it on on your wifi.

okay, just wanted to know.. maybe i need something along the lines of 2-5GHz? in which case a wifi solution is likely better anyways..

thanks for the reply though.

The available bandwidth for transmission and the frequency are not tightly coupled - the modulation scheme, transmit power, any applicable use of MIMO technology, etc are what make the biggest difference.

More importantly, sharing a harddrive over your home wifi network is very common - every major OS has a way of doing it (with windows at each end, it's trivial)

Pesoen:
in which case a wifi solution is likely better anyways..

WiFi would make your harddrive accesible from all devices, like laptop, tablet or phone. WiFi is definitely the way to go!

There are long-range access points or directional antennas available or even outdoors access points.