433 MHZ (XD-FST and receiver): Can I use the receiver as a simple on/off switch?

I recently bought some 433 MHz RF boards off ebay. My goal is to use the transmitter with the Arduino but have the receiver put out 0 or 5 V with (at most) a simple circuit (no Arduino). I want to do this to control a DC motor in a remote location.

To determine if this is feasible, or if the transmitter encodes the data, I hooked up my Arduino to read a pushbutton and set a pin high or low accordingly. This pin is wired to the 433 MHz transmitter's data pin. The receiver's data pin is read by the Arduino and, optionally, has an LED connected through 4.7 k to ground also on the data pin. The LED givea me a quick idea of what is going on with the receiver data pin without having to set up an interrupt-based measurement.

It appears as though the output of the receiver is not simply a reproduction of the transmitter's data pin. I can see faint periodic pulsing of the LED when the transmitter's pin is low, and when I push the button, it only stays lit for less than a second. It will very briefly light again when I take my finger off the button.

I turn to you, then: Can you suggest a simple way to use this 433 MHz tx/rx pair to, essentially, reproduce a button press at a distance, preferably using a number of Arduinos less than or equal to 1. Thanks!

Information on the devices, according to the ebay page:

TX Technical Specifications:

Receiver module parameters

1.Product Model: MX-05V

2.Operating voltage: DC5V

3.Quiescent Current: 4mA

4.Receiving frequency: 433.92MHZ

5.Receiver sensitivity:-105DB

6.Size: 30 * 14 * 7mm

7.External antenna: 32CM single core wire, wound into a spiral

Technical parameters of the transmitter head

1.Product Model: MX-FS-03V

2.Launch distance :20-200 meters (different voltage, different results)

3.Operating voltage :3.5-12V

4.Dimensions: 19 * 19mm

5.Operating mode: AM

6.Transfer rate: 4KB / S

7.Transmitting power: 10mW

8.Transmitting frequency: 433M

9.An external antenna: 25cm ordinary multi-core or single-core line

10.Pinout from left ? right: (DATA; VCC; GND)

Application environment

Remote control switch, receiver module, motorcycles, automobile anti-theft products, home security products, electric doors, shutter doors, windows, remote control socket, remote control LED, remote audio remote control electric doors, garage door remote control, remote control retractable doors, remote volume gate, pan doors, remote control door opener, door closing device control system, remote control curtains, alarm host, alarm, remote control motorcycle remote control electric cars, remote control MP3.

Remark

1.VCC voltage module operating voltage and good power filtering;

2.Great influence on the antenna module reception, preferably connected to the 1/4 wavelength of the antenna, typically 50 ohm single conductor, the length of the antenna 433M of about 17cm;

3.Antenna position has also affected the reception of the module, the installation, the antenna as possible straight away from the shield, high pressure, and interference source; frequency used to receive, decode and oscillation resistor should match with the transmitter.

PDF "datasheet" linked to on the ebay page:

?Technical Parameters?
Operating voltage (V): DC5V
Quiescent Current (mA): 4MA
Modulation: AM (OOK)
Operating temperature: -10 °C ~ 70 °C
Receiver sensitivity (dBm):-105DB
Operating frequency (MHz): 315,433.92 MHz (266-433MHZ frequency band can be optional)
Dimensions (LWH): 30 * 14 * 7mm
Remarks:
Requirements such as the pro distance farther, then 1/4 wavelength antenna, generally use 50 ohm single-core wire, the length of the antenna 315M of approximately 23cm, 433M is about 17cm;
Reception antenna location on the module also affects the installation, the antenna as far as possible straight away from the shield, high pressure, and interference source place; receiving frequency used, decoding and oscillation resistor should match with the launch
Pin and instructions for use:
The ANT connected antenna side
2 VCC power supply positive
3,4 the DATA data output
5 GND negative power
The receiver module has four external interfaces, VCC positive power supply, "DATA" Output "GND" indicates the power supply negative (products labeled in English).
Uses: remote control switch, receiver module, motorcycle, automobile anti-theft products, household anti-theft products, electric doors, shutter doors, windows, remote control socket, remote control the LED, remote control stereo, remote control electric gate, garage door remote control, remote control retractable doors, remote control volume gate , sliding door, remote control door opener, door closing device control system, remote control curtains, alarm system, alarm, remote control motorcycle, remote control electric cars, remote control MP3, remote lights, remote control cars, security and other remote areas of civil and industrial facilities
Quality characteristics:
1, the receiver module and fixed code on the market, the same frequency remote control to learn the code any ancillary use, can be equipped with all wireless remote control of the shop.
2, the super-regenerative receiver module LC oscillator circuit
www.icstation.com
containing zoom in shaping the output data signal is TTL level and can be directly to the decoder is extremely easy to use, and inexpensive, so widely used. Small size, high sensitivity, easy debugging; frequency, short lead times; consistency of product quality, cost-effective, the current is the amount of wireless remote control market is the largest and most widely used form of high-frequency receiver module. Receiver module has a wide receiver bandwidth, typically ± 10MHz, factory general tone in the 315MHz or 433.92MHZ (if there are special requirements for adjustable frequency, adjustment of the frequency range 266MHz ~ 433MHz.) Receiver module with DC5V power supply generally, any special requirements to adjust the voltage, the voltage adjustment range of 3 ~ 8V.
For 4mA quiescent operating current of the receiver module factory generally, if there are special requirements can reduce the current, minimum current is adjustable to 1.5mA, but the receiver sensitivity will be reduced. Factory receiver module output noise output, if any special requirements can be changed without the noise output, but will reduce the receiver sensitivity.

And this quality JPG:

Use a pair of encoder / decoder chips like SC2262 / SC2272 designed to do exactly what you need.

Thank you very much for the reply, and sorry it took me a day or two to get back to the thread. I have done some googling and searching on the SC/PT encoder/decoder ICs, and they look very promising. Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to sit down and determine if it is just as simple as plugging the RF receiver's data line into an SC/PT input, and if the SC/PT encoder will feed directly into the RF transmitter. I'll probably be able to get to this next week, but if you had some tips to throw my way, I'd much appreciate them.

I am hoping this ultimately cuts out the Arduino entirely: my current project (remote-controlled, uh, wearable motors for the GF) would do better with a homemade pushbutton remote than tied to an Arduino. However, there is a secondary goal that does require Arduino control with dumb reception.

May be you are looking for something like this ??? (without using much extra hardware)

http://dcdwireless.com/overv.htm

You could also use HT-12E encoder/decoder series for some basic transmissions with DIP switch settings.

With a simple pulse transmitter using Arduino as receiver may be tried as per Pulse train measurement by Arduino without interrupts- art3ptrain

Hope this helps :slight_smile: