5V/1A regulator heating on an Arduino mega 2560 pro embed

Hi,
I have an Arduino mega 2560 pro embed, each time I use it, it worked fine for a minute or two, then the 5V/1A regulator heats and the board turns off.
So what I did is that I unsolder the 5V/1A regulator and I tried using the board without it, and it worked!
Does any one know how to properly fix the board?
Any help appreciated, thank you.

The regulator sounds as though it was working as expected -If you put too much load on the ouputs of the board it will overheat and cut out ; especially if the input voltage is also high.

if you had nothing connected to the board, and less than 12v supply and it was overheating -then it could have been faulty.

use it off USB or try and solder a new one in!

and ... it is not a 1A regulator

Were you using an external power source, or the USB port to power it?

If using external power source, it shouldn't be working anymore (though it would work powered from USB)

If using USB port, then the 5v regulator shouldn't have been doing any work, and hence, it was damaged or defective....

hammy:
The regulator sounds as though it was working as expected -If you put too much load on the ouputs of the board it will overheat and cut out ; especially if the input voltage is also high.

if you had nothing connected to the board, and less than 12v supply and it was overheating -then it could have been faulty.

use it off USB or try and solder a new one in!

and ... it is not a 1A regulator

Hi hammy, thanks for your answer,

I think you're right, since nothing was connected to the board and I was only powering it with usb, the regulator is probably faulty. I am trying to find a new one.

DrAzzy:
Were you using an external power source, or the USB port to power it?

If using external power source, it shouldn't be working anymore (though it would work powered from USB)

If using USB port, then the 5v regulator shouldn't have been doing any work, and hence, it was damaged or defective....

Hi DrAzzy, thanks for your answer,

Yes it works powered from usb, I am looking for a new regulator, meanwhile I'am using the board whithout it.