8 wire stepper motor

Hi!

I'm trying to get an 8 wire stepper motor to work with my arduino uno. The stepper motor serie name is 23LM-CO38-P1.

I have found the 4 pairs of the wires and connected them together, which means that I now have 4 wires to further connect.

What I wonder is if it is possible to connect these 4 wires to the board that comes with the 28BYJ-48.

What makes me suspisious of this method is that the 28BYJ-48 have 5 wires and the 8 wired stepper motor have now only 4.

Can this work?

How have you connected them together?

If you take one wire from each of the four windings, and connect them together to a common point, (with a wire attached to it) then there are 4 remaining wires, total = 5.

A six-wire stepper has two coils with center taps. With a 5-wire driver the center taps are connected.

I expect that the 8-wire stepper splits the two coils in half at the center tap. You should be able to connect the coils in such a way as to turn it into a 6-wire stepper which can then be used as a 5-wire stepper. The hard part is figuring out which wires are the 'center taps' of each coil.

I assume the driver is a ULN2003?

JohnLincoln does that work?

Yes johnwasser the driver is an ULN2003. If I connect as a 6-wired stepper i then have to find the center taps and not use them right?

Medromille: Yes johnwasser the driver is an ULN2003. If I connect as a 6-wired stepper i then have to find the center taps and not use them right?

No that is not the way to do it with those drivers. The two centre taps are connected to the positive of the supply and the four other wires go to the drivers.

STOP the previous posts will fry your driver

stop, take a breath. get the facts.

an 8 wore motor IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, , can be wired like a 6 wire. motor

what you have in a 6 wire are four coils with a common center tap.

the 8 wire motor has 4 coils.

https://www.geckodrive.com/support.html

about half way down

the simple way is to keep every end isolated. find tow coils and use the motor like a 4 wire.

dave-in-nj: STOP the previous posts will fry your driver

stop, take a breath. get the facts.

Bit wrong there. How will this fry anything? Have you misunderstood what I wrote?

JohnLincoln: How have you connected them together?

If you take one wire from each of the four windings, and connect them together to a common point, (with a wire attached to it) then there are 4 remaining wires, total = 5.

there are no drivers that are designed for this, unless the coils are aligned, this will not wok. connected to a driver, it will fry the driver instantly.

Rubbish, we are talking about a unipolar stepping motor with Darlington pull downs.

Grumpy_Mike: Bit wrong there. How will this fry anything? Have you misunderstood what I wrote?

in theory, you are correct, but, the O.P. does not know how to identify the positive of the coils. I have never seen a data sheet that did either,connecting even one coil backwards will cause this to fail.

the star wiring is a very VERY poor choice.

the OP has a Ferrari, the darlington is a one cylendar carburator., from a lawnmower.

yes, you can get it to work. but the darlington is not a driver,

This is a long way from frying a driver is it not?

Grumpy_Mike: Rubbish, we are talking about a unipolar stepping motor with Darlington pull downs.

rubbish, you are talking about a good motor and a horrible way to drive it.

it would work light years better with a 20th century L298 dual H-bridge as a 4 wire and not using 2 of the coils

it would work even better as a 4 wire by connecting the coils in parallel. or as a 4 wire with them two coils in series.

the star is the worst way to drive it.

Grumpy_Mike: This is a long way from frying a driver is it not?

the darlington is not a driver.

Hi I think this is what you need, datasheet. . . . .

//www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjADahUKEwjhw_Clx_DHAhXjqaYKHcQjCg8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cncitalia.it%2Fupload_ele%2Fpap_nmb.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHDNMJq6cs4QrGNZeR4wQEFxXzyZw&bvm=bv.102537793,d.dGY

Tom... :)

dave-in-nj: the darlington is not a driver.

A Darlington is being used as a driver. So your statement is wrong, a Darlington is a driver.

Chill out I never said it was a good way to power this motor, read the thread. I was responding to the question asked in reply #3. What he asked would not work I was telling him what would work given what he had.

Now you are perfectly entitled to say that it is not the best was to drive the motor and point out the difficulties in getting the coil wires the right way round.

What you are not entitled to do is to say that what I advised would fry anything!

So the only rubbish here is your overreaction, to something that was correct.

Grumpy_Mike: A Darlington is being used as a driver. So your statement is wrong, a Darlington is a driver.

Chill out I never said it was a good way to power this motor, read the thread. I was responding to the question asked in reply #3. What he asked would not work I was telling him what would work given what he had.

Now you are perfectly entitled to say that it is not the best was to drive the motor and point out the difficulties in getting the coil wires the right way round.

What you are not entitled to do is to say that what I advised would fry anything!

So the only rubbish here is your overreaction, to something that was correct.

OK, I over reacted, and your recommendation would not have been the best, but it could have worked. in point of fact, I mis-read the OP and did not realize he wanted to use a specific board to drive the stepper. the motor the OP has is a 5v, 50 ohm, 0,1 amp motor the 8 wire is a 3.8v motor, about 1.25 amps, (assuming about 5 ohms) and is a comparative rocket ship to the 28BYJ motor. so, as to the correct answer to the OP's question, the only answer is . yes, you can make the motor work. as far as rubbish, I would propose that offering a very poor solution would be rubbish, at least on the level of my over reaction if not more. The OP wanted to know if he could use what he has, and you tried to help him use what he had. As for a transistor being a driver, well, that is like saying a 555 can be programmed and used like a programmable controller. it is semantics and my friend, I think we both have much better use of our times than to dance that dance. now, if you want to really help, tell the OP how to identify the coil wires so that he can use the motor in this manner. how to identify which phase the coils are on, and what polarity of each coil needs to be connected to the center tap. just because a thing can be done, does not mean that anyone can do it, nor does it mean that it should be done.