8x5 RGB LED matrix help!

Hello all,

I am trying to make a 8x5 LED matrix. The concept has a module that has an IR sensor and 4 RGB leds per module. There are 10 modules. If IR is detected, turn on the 4 RGB leds. The leds can be changed in color individually so that is whay I am making a matrix. I plan on using a 8 bit shift register for the rows and a TLC5940 for the 5 (which is actually 15 since they are RGB LEDS) columns. I have captured the picture of this concept and attached it.

My questions are...
I was using a shiftout code to count from 0 to 10 and was monitoring the Qa pin. I was seeing the following results in the window: 0,-1,-1,0,-1,0,-1,0,-1,0,-1. This confused me (probably because I haven't used shift registers once). I was doing MSBFirst. I was thinking maybe this was sending the bits as binary and that does not correspond with what I see. Any help on this?

Do I need to use the transistor array since I am doing multiplexing? I figured I would because of the current to light up the columns.

How would the code go to run this? I was thinking maybe to read the sensors, send the shift register command, then to jump to the TLC serial. Do you see a problem with this? Is the arduino fast enough for this to make a good lighting effect?

I think as far as I/O goes I should be good. There are 3 lines for the shift register, 4 for the TLC5940, and 5 for the mux. Making 12 I/O which the Dumenilove has.

I guess I am just probing to see what is fesible or if I am doing this the hard way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have a look at this project for how to multiplex a TLC5940:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Mini_Monome.html