9v battery destroying Nano Everys

Ok, so I purchased 4 Nano Every boards directly from Arduino. 3 of the 4 boards have fried from simply using a 9v battery on the Vin. One of them works fine. The 3 that burned up were working with older 9v's I had laying around that were around 7.80v. When I plugged the new 9v battery(9.44v) into them, fried. How else am I supposed to power these things? The datasheet says 7-21v. So one would assume that a measly little 9v battery would not harm the name brand Arduino Nano Every. What am I doing wrong?

There is no reverse polarity protection on Vin, so perhaps you connected the battery backwards.

1 Like

Post a pic of your handiwork.

1 Like

Can we assume you are using pre-made standard 9 volt battery connectors with wire leads? Did you by any chance get the battery/connector the wrong way, even for an instant?

2 Likes

Definitely didn't hook it up backwards. I triple check every connection before putting power to it each time. I'm very meticulous and probably have mild OCD.

Yes sir, standard Duracell 9v's. They test at around 9.44v out of the box.

Definitely didn't hook it up backwards. I'm starting to think that the Nano Every just can't be powered with a 9v.

Let's see your handiwork.
(Copy it and paste here in the text window.)

Nonsense, for genuine Nano Every boards.

Well then I must have gotten some faulty boards. They worked fine with a used 9v battery (7.82v), when I plugged tbe brand new battery in (9.44v) the code stopped running properly and then the boards got hot and shorted the internal diodes. Why would they work with a used battery and not a new one?
Yes they were genuine Arduino Nano Every boards. Purchased directly from the Arduino Store.
Also I appreciate anyone who genuinely tries to help me here. I'm just someone who really wants to use genuine parts in my products. And I truly want to make sure that I'm not asking too much from the Nano Every.

In your original post you stated that you had purchased four.
Your "receipt" notes two.