Mod edit
See also The 3D Magnetic Levitation System: This is a completed, fully working hardware project
I’m not so sure if this might end up being my next project. Does anyone actually think this would be cool? A clock with a levitating hand.
Mod edit
See also The 3D Magnetic Levitation System: This is a completed, fully working hardware project
Do you actually need an Arduino to do that ?
OK, but do you actually need a processor of any kind to do that ?
Yes, a digital control system.
You don't need digital control to build a levitation system—analog control would certainly work too, but to achieve true position control based on time, you need digital control.
I have an analogue clock in my house. As long as I wind it up regularly it keeps good time and its hands show me the time perfectly well
I am not saying that a digital solution is not a good idea for a number of resons, just that it is not the only solution
Oh, I don't know if I expressed myself clearly—the time display isn't the key feature of the watch; rather, it's the fact that the hand floats and has no mechanical connection to the watch itself.
its more a design thing
I, for one, think it would be very cool.
Does your solution allow for the clock face to be vertical as in a normal clock ?
Yes, it does work vertically, but it's significantly less stable vertically and would require considerably more development effort.
I am not surprised, but that would severely limit its use as a practical clock
Sure, it only makes sense if it works vertically too, that would basically be the next project, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me or if it would turn out to be something cool.
Are you using an optical sensor to control levitation height as well as the common Hall effect sensors for X-Y positioning?
How does one rotate the spherical magnet to simulate a clock hand?
To solve this, I'm considering adding external coils (like on the picture) to actively counteract the oscillation, although the project is still in the conceptual phase and I haven't officially started building it yet.
Can I correctly assume that it cannot be oriented like the image in your original post?
Do the visible magnets on top of the sphere create the tilt necessary to get torque?
The goal remains as shown in the original image, but how to apply the torque is still open—that’s precisely what this project aims to figure out.
There are two main approaches. One option is to alter the position of the levitating magnet in the 2D plane. Shifting its position causes it to tilt slightly and align differently based on its coordinates, allowing us to set a target angle. The issue, however, is that the hand oscillates around this target angle.
To suppress these vibrations, I'll likely need additional electromagnets arranged around the levitation system.
To be honest, I’m still not sure if I’ll take on this project at all. It requires a lot of effort, and the interaction between the rotational movement and the vertical position is far from clear. I’m simply not sure yet if the project is worth the challenge—which is actually what I was hoping to figure out with this blog post.
I don't see how it is possible to overcome gravity without a separate levitation system not shown.