A real newbie, which language?

Hello everyone...

I know this questions has probably been asked thousands of times over.

What programming language would be easiest programming, most useful programming language to learn for a real newbie? hidden link removed

I have had 0 experience, and looking at learning for a hobby.

I would like a language where you can build pc or android applications, not web development.

I wanted to learn visual basics, but do a lot of people still use that to develop programs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Well I would vote for C.

It is a lot like Pascal which was the teaching language at University of Melb in the 80s and 90s.

At Latrobe University in the early 2000s, C was the teaching language.

It will take you longer to learn it thoroughly but once you do it makes learning other programming languages quite easy to pick up.

Since this is an Arduino forum, the answer has to be C (or technically C++) as that is the standard for programming an Arduino.

Learn it on an Arduino, using the Arduino IDE, and it’s pretty easy to get into. Be aware it can get pretty deep tho.

Wikipedia tells me that Android applications are usually written in Java, so that would be an obvious choice. Interestingly, Java is top of the list here.

There’s nothing to say that you should restrict yourself to a single language though. Indeed, you’ll find you will understand programming much better once you’re familiar with several languages.

More choices - Python is often recommended to beginners these days. Visual basic is nice in that you can more or less instantly create windows forms based apps. I’d prefer C# over VB though personally.

One difference between C and Pascal is that the 'typing' (as in data types) and memory handling is a lot looser (and therefore more flexible) in C that it is in Pascal.

So it is easier to get into trouble re runtime errors with C/C++.

So just take it slow and build up your skills gradually.

If it takes you 12 months or more to really get a handle on C then so be it.

But my experience is that the hungrier you are to learn the faster you will pick it up.

Part of the process of learning a programming language is a bit of brain wiring re-organisation.

You have to gain the ability to break down a process, that you innately know how to do with little mental effort, into a series of logical steps that you can represent in code.

Something as simple as print "HELLO WORLD" 10 times. Very easy to do this on a piece of paper with little thought. But how do you make a computer do it with C.

This will be the biggest hurdle for you, but patience and perseverance will pay off in the end.

There's nothing to say that you should restrict yourself to a single language though. Indeed, you'll find you will understand programming much better once you're familiar with several languages.

Well, if he is learning a programming language for the very first time then it is best to concentrate on one, and on only, until he is confident with it.

THEN is is easy to learn others and switch and swap between them as needed.

Python

pom88: What programming language would be easiest programming, most useful programming language to learn for a real newbie?

If you want to write programs for an Arduino you have no choice but to use C++.

If you are just writing a program to run on a PC then you have a wide range of options. My recommendation would also be for Python. I actually prefer Ruby but the Python infrastructure is more convenient IMHO.

However if you are using Windows and will never need to work with a non-Windows system then one the Microsoft languages (such as Visual Basic or Visual C#) makes a lot of sense - especially if you want to make an attractive GUI.

...R

TOPIC LOCKED as OP has a hidden link to an infected website. OP banned, hidden link removed.

On request some info:

There was a hidden link in the OP post to www dot ufa88 dot com followed by some non western language string (THAI). I noticed it when I wanted to copy part of it to quote the OP (as I had also an opinion). When clicking it one of my virusscanners "shut down" immediately with a serious warning.

Reason enough to ban the account forever. I locked the thread as the answers are OK.

advise: 1) do not visit mentioned site 2) check the logs of your virus scanner if you did visit it.

@robtillaart, nice catch!