Adafruit CC3000 wifi shield build test stuck on "Initialising the CC3000 ..."

My Serial Monitor is stuck at “Initialising the CC3000 …” for the buildtest.ino example.

(1) I Stacked the Adafruit CC3000 wifi shield atop the Arduino Uno using Arduino Stackable Headers CC3000 atop Uno

(2) I uploaded the “buildtest.ino” example from https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC3000_Library.git (see attached buildtest.ino)

(3) My Serial Monitor is stuck on the below message

Hello, CC3000!
RX Buffer : 131 bytes
TX Buffer : 131 bytes
Free RAM: 1201
Initialising the CC3000 …

(4) I didn’t wire anything; was I suppose to? I thought the “Arduino Stackable Headers” did all the wiring for me and all I had to do is specify the pins in the program? Maybe the example (i did not change the pin initialization) uses the CC3000 Breakout Board pins and they are not the same as the CC3000 Shield pins?

buildtest.ino (9.98 KB)

Someone in the Adafruit forums had the same problem. They had to get a replacement shield from Adafruit:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=64420

Dear JohnWasser,

Thanks for the update. I also created a post on Adafruit post and they recommended soldering. I will solder and also hock to a 1A adaptor and report back. If that does not work I will look into getting a new shield.

If you see the green power LED on the shield or breakout board flicker even a little, you have power supply problems. The CC3000 is very sensitive to power supply noise and regulation.

Everything works fine, I did not set the "bog rate" correct.

Hi, detman

Does your CC3000 work now? I got the same problem as what you have and had not idea what to do.

Guannan

I need a help, I am using CC3000 , am trying the buildtest an get stuck at initializing :

Hello, CC3000!

RX Buffer : 131 bytes TX Buffer : 131 bytes Free RAM: 1251

Initialising the CC3000 ...

I am using the pc USB as the power supply.

Why is that ??? what is "bog rate"

Any advice

I too had this problem; however, it would sometimes only work on cold mornings for a few minutes and then lockup. I spent many hours going through the software which seen to be ok.

It seemed to be a timing problem so using an oscilloscope and measured the signal through the 74HC4050, a level converter from 5V to 3V, and found quite a long delay. The rise delay was 47nS and the fall delay was 58nS. This was far too great for the SPI and was out of specifications according to the data sheet. The other thing I noticed when I hit the 74HC4050 with freeze spray, causing the delay to decrease, the CC3000 board would operate until the chip warmed up. As timing in a chip is not something that is caused by a fault, all I can assume is the board (this was a Chinese copy of CC3000) was fitted with a counterfeit 74HC4050. I replaced the chip with a genuine 74HC4050 and the board worked faultlessly. The delay through the new chip is now 6nS. The lesson I learnt from this is that it doesn’t pay to buy copies if you value your time and sanity.

I have the same problem with the buildtest sketch stuck at “initialising…”. It is a Chinese unit. The vendor has advised me to use the Adafruit_CC3000 library.
Very interested to read the comment from vk3who about the problem with the 74HC4050 chip. I am not sufficiently skilled to attemp the fix of changing the chip. This board is widely sold on the internet, yet I am seeing very few posts detailing this issue. I can’t believe that the only solution is to change components or ditch the board altogether.
I have ran the sketch with the debug on and it loops at the point where “CC3000: Entering SPI_IRQ”

s-l225.jpg

I take the assumption that the board was tested in the factory before it was shipped. The factory in China may have been really cold the day when the tested causing the counterfeit 74HC4050 to operate just fast enough to work. Try putting the cc3000 into the freezer (Ice box of the fridge in a plastic bag) and then try starting when it is really cold. If it does work, it is most likely the 74HC4050. There are plenty of YouTube video on how to replace the chips. You can also confirm that it is 74HC4050 it using freeze spray and only freezing the 74hc4050. The freeze spray can be obtained from the local electronics shop.

Hi,
I had too the same problem,
after a couple of days I found at Pin 6 of the HCF4050 fine HF oszillation on the signal. VBAT could not get really to exactly H. 100nf blocking to ground - without sucess.
To avoid unsoldering the IC I found out that the cc3000 runs correct, when I connect an other (free line pin 5 - pin 4 in the IC) parallel to the line Pin7 - Pin6.

I connectet pin 7 with 5 and pin 6 with pin 4.

with this “operation” the modul runs correct without any problems the sketch “buildtest” with these
settings:

#include <Adafruit_CC3000.h>
#include <ccspi.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <string.h>
#include “utility/debug.h”

// These are the interrupt and control pins
#define ADAFRUIT_CC3000_IRQ 3 // MUST be an interrupt pin!m Shield Gg!
// These can be any two pins
#define ADAFRUIT_CC3000_VBAT 5
#define ADAFRUIT_CC3000_CS 10
// Use hardware SPI for the remaining pins
// On an UNO, SCK = 13, MISO = 12, and MOSI = 11
Adafruit_CC3000 cc3000 = Adafruit_CC3000(ADAFRUIT_CC3000_CS, ADAFRUIT_CC3000_IRQ, ADAFRUIT_CC3000_VBAT,
SPI_CLOCK_DIVIDER); // you can change this clock speed but DI

#define WLAN_SSID “your SSID” // cannot be longer than 32 characters!
#define WLAN_PASS “your password”
// Security can be WLAN_SEC_UNSEC, WLAN_SEC_WEP, WLAN_SEC_WPA or WLAN_SEC_WPA2
#define WLAN_SECURITY WLAN_SEC_WPA2