Alternative serial monitor display

I would like to display the status of 7 sensors in a small serial monitor window in the corner of my desktop without running Arduino. I am fairly new to Adruino and would like to know the best way to proceed. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

There are many free serial terminal programs you can take your pick of as an alternative to the Arduino IDE's Serial Monitor. Or, if you prefer, you could write your own in your favorite programming language.

Consider programs such as PuTTY, RealTerm or minicom

…R

Thanks for the replies guys, as I said, I have my Arduino sketch which works fine looking at the Arduino serial monitor and just need the output displayed on a small window on my desktop without Arduino running. I have just had a look at some of these programs but wouldn't know where to start in getting them to read from the USB output from the Arduino and indeed whether or not I can have a small window showing only the status of the sensors. The Processing Language would do the job but that's another language to learn. I guess I'm looking for an easy fix when there may not be one for someone as inexperienced as I am. I will try a couple of the programs and see how it goes. Any further pointers most welcome

Thanks

S

In the serial terminal program, all you need to do is set the port the same as what you select from the Tools > Port menu in the Arduino IDE, and set the baud rate to the same speed as you set in your sketch's Serial.begin() line. If you need to configure more, use Data bits: 8, Parity: None, Stop bits: 1. But that's going to be the default settings already. Most of the terminal programs are going to seem much more complex than the Serial Monitor because they support multiple communications protocols and have lots of options but you can ignore most of that. There are probably some simple ones around if you look long enough. You could probably find an example Processing sketch, but it's still likely to be more complicated to implement than just installing a ready made terminal program. The advantage to writing your own is that you can configure it to work exactly how you want, but you might get lucky and find that someone already made exactly what you want.

SierraGolfMike:
Thanks for the replies guys, as I said, I have my Arduino sketch which works fine looking at the Arduino serial monitor and just need the output displayed on a small window on my desktop without Arduino running.

If the other programs seem too complex what is the objection to having the Arduino IDE running and reduced to a small screen in the corner?

...R

Robin2:
If the other programs seem too complex what is the objection to having the Arduino IDE running and reduced to a small screen in the corner?

...R

I can't get the window to go small enough!

I downloaded PuTTY and have managed to get it working. Looks as though it will do the job but will explore Processing Language and see if I can write one of my own at some point.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

S