An idiots guide to using Arduino and EF02037 for Automotive CANBUS reading

Hi guys, I have read LOTS on this subject and watched more Youtube videos than I could list about it, but am more confused than ever!

Any help would be much appreciated

This is the EF02037 I ordered:

and this 16 Pin to DB9 OBD II cable:

1. Looking at the board in the above link the headers in the top corner don’t cover pin 0 and pin 7, are these not needed?

2. Does the EF02037 board run alone, sit on top of my regular UNO board or do I wire it to my UNO board?
    If it sits on top of my UNO board I guess the 2x4 connector needs to be soldered in upside down?

3. In the Ebay page there is a link to a user guide (www.elecfreaks.com/estore/download/EF02037-User%20Guide.zip) to download the CAN BUS library, however, the link in this PDF doesn’t work. Is there somewhere else I could download the library from?

Any input or links to read is much appreciated

Andy

andyb6:
3) In the Ebay page there is a link to a user guide (www.elecfreaks.com/estore/download/EF02037-User%20Guide.zip) to download the CAN BUS library, however, the link in this PDF doesn’t work. Is there somewhere else I could download the library from?

Here it is:
http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/download/product/shield/CAN-BUS_Shield/User%20Guide.zip

andyb6:
2) Does the EF02037 board run alone, sit on top of my regular UNO board or do I wire it to my UNO board?
If it sits on top of my UNO board I guess the 2x4 connector needs to be soldered in upside down?

That’s how shields work, you plug them right on top of the Uno. By “2x4 connector” do you mean the 2x3 ICSP header?

Hi Pert, yep I found that page, but where it says step 3 "Download the CAN-BUS Source code I imagine that should be a link to download a zip file, but it doesn't appear to be working.

Yep sorry I did mean the 2x3 connector

Many thanks

Andy

Do a Google search for OBD-ll library. If you don't know how to install a library there is a tutorial on the Arduino site.

OK, I understand now. That is some very unhelpful documentation. I'm always amazed at how these companies do such a poor job of it. I could understand for an open source project done as a hobby but this is for a product their selling; I'd think they'd make a little effort! And this is not a translation issue, a little of that is understandable.

So I'm pretty sure I tracked it down. It's this "Paintcode" link on the product page: http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/download/product/shield/CAN-BUS_Shield/Code.zip Don't ask me what "Paintcode" is supposed to mean.

It doesn't have exactly the same name as shown in the screenshot (CAN_BUS_Shield_code vs CAN_BUS_Shield) but the example sketches have the same names.

Thank you guys, I've now got the library installed :)

Now trying to solder the pins into the board and failing badly lol

I'll keep you updated :)

Many thanks

Andy

Hi guys, finally have had the chance to play with the Arduino and the EF02037. I was using 8 data pins for the LCD and apparently they were conflicting with the pins used by the EF02037. So I have used 4 data pins and wired it as follows:

Arduino LCD

2 ------------------------D7
3 ------------------------D6
4 ------------------------D5
5 ------------------------D4

8 ------------------------ E
9 ------------------------ RS

When the 16 X 2 display is wired directly to the Arduino it works perfectly, however when I plug the EF02037 into the Arduino and wire the LCD through it, it just displays random stuff of the screen. I thought maybe there was a bad connection on the EF02037 board so have tested the continuity from the Arduino to a wire coming out of each pin (each pin listed above) and each has good continuity at 1.2 ohms.

Any thoughts as to what to test next would be much appreciated

Andy